We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Auto Insurance/ownership in relation to crossing into Canada

Which Niagara Falls hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Auto Insurance/ownership in relation to crossing into Canada

Hello. If anyone could help please... I would appreciate it. I have read Canadian Border sites/facts, but my in-laws have me wondering what to really bring in relation to our driving into Canada. They think you need your auto Title (seems like a bad idea should our vehicle be stolen) and something more special than proof of insurance. ???

We have our passports and are hopeful going into Canada and back to the U.S. that our passports are sufficient.. (We are US citizens).

Thanks so much for any help.

Orlando, Florida
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Auto Insurance/ownership in relation to crossing into Canada

You need proof of auto insurance when you travel into Canada. You must obtain a Canadian Insurance ID card from your insurance agent or company. Plan ahead. It may take a few weeks to arrive.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,532 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Auto Insurance/ownership in relation to crossing into Canada

Hi sissypwr;

No need to bring your title.

Driver's license, proof of insurance and your ownership are all that are required. As CoconutPalms has suggested above, obtaining a Canadian "Inter-Province" insurance card from your insurance company / agent, would be a good idea as well.

As US citizens, your passports are sufficient for Customs on both sides. For complete details;

http://www.knowyourborder.gov/

Best Regards

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,532 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Auto Insurance/ownership in relation to crossing into Canada

Hi sissypwr;

Just to clarify further, when I posted "ownership", I mean the state registration documentation showing your name, address and license plate information.

Best Regards

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Auto Insurance/ownership in relation to crossing into Canada

Thank you RescueTeam and CoconutPalms for your response. These forums, with such knowledgeable advisors, are so wonderful!

I failed to mention we are only visiting for 4 days in the niagara falls and niagara-on-the-lake areas. We are to arrive Canadian side this Tuesday.

You helped me greatly and I thank you again!

Take care.

Sunnyvale
Level Contributor
223 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Auto Insurance/ownership in relation to crossing into Canada

So if we are visiting Canada and are renting a car do we still need a Canadian insurance ID? Please clarify. Also will our CA License enough to drive in Canada?

Edited: 2:22 am, April 09, 2012
West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,532 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Auto Insurance/ownership in relation to crossing into Canada

You're Welcome, sissypwr !

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,532 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Auto Insurance/ownership in relation to crossing into Canada

Hi avidity_2002;

Can I presume that you are renting the car in the US ?

You will need to ask the rental company for the "Inter-Province" insurance card. If they provide cross-border rentals on a regular basis, they may have them on hand.

If not, I wouldn't worry about it, being a rental situation.

Ensure that the car rental company notes on the rental agreement that they authorize you to take the car into Canada. You may be asked by Customs when entering Canada, or when re-entering the US, for this documentation.

Yes, your valid California license is acceptable in Canada.

Best Regards

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,572 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Auto Insurance/ownership in relation to crossing into Canada

Its Mexico that can be a hassle with your autos, Canada is just fine.

Don't confuse the Mexican border with the Canadian border, lol

Edited: 1:26 pm, April 09, 2012
Sunnyvale
Level Contributor
223 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Auto Insurance/ownership in relation to crossing into Canada

Thank you RescueTeam.

Yes we will be renting a car from EWR airport and will be driving to Canada.

One more question.

So if we have our own insurance and decline the renter's insurance do we need to get a insurance id card? So should I ask my insurance company for one? Do they normally give one like that? Is there a separate charge for that?

Any idea?

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,572 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Auto Insurance/ownership in relation to crossing into Canada

Well it can't hurt to ask your insurance company about it. Be sure to inform the rental office the car will be going in to Ontario Canada, it needs to say it on the paper work and there is extra papers for customs if they ask to see it. Just keep it all in the glove box just in case customs asks for it.

Michigan is next to Canada, so it is kind of expected we might go into Canada once in while. Other states farther away might be different, so I would ask about the insurance card--maybe call an national 800 number so you will get the correct answer.

Keep in mind also if you decline the car rental insurance and use your credit card insurance--which I always do--its not good if you drink and drive if your over the limit which is very easy today. .05 to .07 is now not acceptable in Canada you lose your license for 3 days. They have road side check points--illegal here in Michigan but used in many other places, including Ontario. Your credit card insurance is free but its not as good as the rental company insurance--I believe. You might want to double check with who issued the credit card, not all terms are the same. Some banks exclude suv's and pick up trucks, most banks all exclude motorbikes.

You can't ask the rental company, they tell you your credit card insurance isn't too good, buy their $16 a day insurance.

Chances are nothing will happen but the car is worth $15,000 or more, you don't wanna be on the hook for it just in case some jerk hits you.