We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Border and Passport issues

Torrington
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Border and Passport issues

I am under the assumption that the new regulations for border crossings from the US into Canada do not start until 2007.Is this true or has it began 01/2006.Looking to head over there in April,,,I just dont want any surprises...

Thanks for all of your input...

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
15,178 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Border and Passport issues

Crossing from the US to Canada isn't a problem. If you are a citizen of the United States, you do not need a passport to enter Canada. However, you should carry proof of your citizenship, such as a birth certificate, certificate of citizenship or naturalization, as well as a photo ID. If you are a permanent resident of the U.S, you should bring your Permanent Resident Card (i.e., green card) with you.

Travelling the other way, it is more complicated. Canadians don't need a passport yet, but one is strongly recommended.

The rules are changing, but they haven't changed yet.

The best advice for people coming to Canada is to check the Canada Border Services Agency site (www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/menu-e.html) well before their trip. Visitors to the US should look at the requirements on the Department of Homeland Security site (http://www.dhs.gov/dhspublic/).

Torrington
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Border and Passport issues

Its funny.On all of our crossings into Canada for either Niagara falls or Campobello Island the crossing into Canada has always gone smoother than coming back into the US.General tourist attraction crossings usually are less tight due to the vacation aspect of it.We enjoy the Canadian side of the falls and coming from Connecticut we just wanted to make sure the new law hasnt gone into effect yet.Passports cost upwards to 100.00 each and for a family of 4 that could be costly.They need to have a cheaper alternative.Thanks for your info....

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
786 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Border and Passport issues

PLEASE - what is the exact policy? Someone left a hotel review saying passports wil be needed this month for Americans returning to the US. I thought it was not until 2007. My wife and I are going Feb. 27 and must know what's up so we can get passports quickly if we have to.

Level Contributor
2,033 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Border and Passport issues

Jmat

The exact policy is on a link from the site WorldVoyager provided:

cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/…P137_3378

That site is official; it's the Cdn Gov'ts Canada Border Services Agency.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
786 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Border and Passport issues

Ok I sifted through the US homeland security site and found that its not necessary, just our birth certs (which we always have anyway) and drivers licenses. Looks like Dec 2007 is the date US citizens will need passports to drive back to the USA. Air and boat travel is sooner. Thanks for the quick response AB

By the way can you get passports through AAA? When the time comes, my wife and I want to know all the how's and what's and where's, since we have never gotten passports. Also is it a lengthy process?

Level Contributor
2,033 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Border and Passport issues

Jmat

For Americans to obtain a first-time passport, there's certain post offices, clerks of court, libraries and various government offices. Have a look at http://iafdb.travel.state.gov to determine your nearest office. It states that "routine" service is 6 weeks.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
786 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Border and Passport issues

Thanks again AB. Now I have the info I need. I just panicked when I read that hotel review with that note about needing passports this month. You back up your word with links to the info thats needed. Your posts are an asset to TA.....thanks again.

Pickering
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Border and Passport issues

Entering the US - as a non-US citizen, passports will be required as of Dec. 2006 to fly and Dec.2007 to drive across the border.

As a Canadian citizen, a valid birth certificate will be required in order to apply for a passport. The birth certificate can take several weeks, so don't leave it too late!

Ontario
Level Contributor
72 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Border and Passport issues

My boyfriend and I travel back and forth across the boarder fairly often. He is American and I am Canadian, and you are fine if you have a birth cirtificate or drivers license for now. We are often not asked for any ID at all, it all depends on the customs officer. But it is probably a good idea to apply for a passport soon because you are going to need it eventually anyways...

Ohio
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Border and Passport issues

how will a birth certificate really help if the names are different?

Example: (names have been changed)

I was born Ann Marie Smith but I got married and became Ann Marie Jones. I divorced but have children with this husband so I decided to keep my married name, now I'm married for the 2nd time and I dropped my first name (Never went by Ann) and now I'm known as Marie Jones Walker.

SO my Drivers license and all id say Marie Jones Walker, however my birth certificate says Ann Marie Smith. Doesn't even sound like the same person :)

So why carry a birth certificate?