We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do I get from Niagara Falls to windsor??

Which Niagara Falls hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Topic
How do I get from Niagara Falls to windsor??

Hi I've been searching the forums for an answer and all I can find is a train that gets me from Windsor to Niagara...what about the other way round...is there a bus or train that will get me from Niagara Falls to windsor? And how long will it take, we didn't really feel like flyin, wanted to see our other options.

If that option doesn't suit us, and we have a day to spare..... then we may head from Niagara to Tornoto,spend a night there if there is stuff to do and see??? Then from there head to Windsor the next day. So what are our options with

Niagara to Toronto....train/bus, time it takes to get there

AND

Toronto to Windsor....train/bus, time it takes to get there

Thanks heaps guys!!!!

Vineland, Canada
Level Contributor
198 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How do I get from Niagara Falls to windsor??

From Niagara to Toronto, you can take the GO Train on weekends, I want to say it will be about an hour and a half, probably less from Niagara Falls to Union Station? There will be someone else posting for sure later on with more concrete numbers. As for Windsor to Niagara, are you trying to avoid driving? If you could drive yourselves there, it would give you a lot more flexibility with everything you can do in the Niagara Region.

Good luck,

Kuhlie

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How do I get from Niagara Falls to windsor??

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g155019-c97995/Toront… lists all the ways to get to Toronto --it's written for trips _to_ Niagara Falls, so just read the advice in reverse!

GO Trains from Niagara to Toronto (which take just under two hours) are running on weekends, but all other trains you might use are not currently running: Via Rail is on strike. Good thing you don't feel like flying; it'd probably be very expensive.

www.greyhound.ca is your best bet for bus travel to Windsor. You can get a ticket from Niagara Falls to Windsor, but you end up going to Toronto anyways to change buses there. Niagara Falls-Toronto bus trips are 90 minutes to 2 hours. Toronto-Windsor bus trips are 4.5 to 5.5 hours.

And Toronto is a very large city, so there'd be more than enough to see and do for an overnight stay.

Australia
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How do I get from Niagara Falls to windsor??

Thankyou so much for your advice guys, it was exactly what I needed to know. Just one question? is Via Rail on strike for a while....or just the time being, I wont be in Canada for another month...and if I decide to train/bus it, would it be better to buy tickets via the companys websites, or just purchase them when I'm there.

Thanks a million!!!!!

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,733 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How do I get from Niagara Falls to windsor??

Hi;

The locomotive engineers have been negotiating with VIA Rail for the past 2½ years and have just gone on strike. This could end quickly, or it may drag on for a while. For up to date info about the strike, you can always check in on the forum or visit ( www.VIARail.ca )

Best Regards

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How do I get from Niagara Falls to windsor??

The trains will be up and running by late today.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How do I get from Niagara Falls to windsor??

Wow, that was quick. European train networks often have 24-hour scheduled strikes, but this one was set to last until a deal was reached. However, the union and Via have agreed to binding arbitration, so there'll be full service by Monday: google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/… .

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
328 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How do I get from Niagara Falls to windsor??

Dear Ritzzi:

Since the Via Rail strike is over, you will be able to go from Niagara Falls to Windsor by train with a cross-platform change at Aldershot. You do not have to go all the way into Toronto. There are three such connections per day: early morning (Mon-Fri), early afternoon (except Mon and Tues) and early evening (daily). The total journey tinme is between 5.5 and 7 hours, with between 45 minutes and 2 hours in Aldershot.

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,496 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How do I get from Niagara Falls to windsor??

I took a Greyhound bus from Detroit to Toronto, the bus does stop in Windsor and picks up about 25 more people (we had 7 from Detroit) then I took the Go Train to Niagara the next day...but then found myself "stuck" in Niagara Falls. VIA train on Monday and Thursday and I believe Sunday has a 2:15pm train that gets you in to Windsor at 9pm..about 7 hours cause there is a lay over of 1:10 in OAKVILLE. There is also a daily train that leaves at 6:30am and gets to Windsor at 12:07pm.

Both didn't seem too great for me.

I called Enterprise car rental and got a mid size car for 24 hours @ $43 Canadian dollars. Took me 2 hours and 20 mins to drive to London and got on the 2:30 pm bus to Windsor and Detroit. It was no extra fee to leave the car in London and they drop me off at the bus station a few mins away. Had a very nice lunch at a place called Moxie's Classic Grill in London on Richmond st before dropping the rental car off.

Best way I know how to get from Niagara to Windsor without being stuck on the bus or station for over 7 hours. Not the cheapest thou, gas cost me $17 and bus ticket was $30 plus the $43 for the car. Via would have been $42 to Windsor.

9. Re: How do I get from Niagara Falls to windsor??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, January 23, 2010