We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Old Building directly across from Horseshoe Falls?

Which Niagara Falls hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Louisiana
Level Contributor
91 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Old Building directly across from Horseshoe Falls?

Hi, can anyone tell me what is the old abandoned building directly across from the Horseshoe Falls? It was not discussed on a tour we took nor on the Maid of the Mist Boat.

Thanks

Level Contributor
2,033 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Old Building directly across from Horseshoe Falls?

My understanding is that's it's for power generation. Lots of turbines inside. Quite an impressive, stately building, with big windows.

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
5,761 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Old Building directly across from Horseshoe Falls?

Alot of local couples (inc a few I know) have a few wedding photos outside it or standing in one of the windows on the sil etc, depending on the photographer the pics can turn out really cool, I have seen good and really bad ones!!

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
5,761 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Old Building directly across from Horseshoe Falls?

www.angelfire.com/on/2bikers/prophotos.html

I just found these on the net, does this look like the place you mean??

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
5,761 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Old Building directly across from Horseshoe Falls?

…ic.gc.ca/heirloom_series/…Onthydro.html

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
5,761 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Old Building directly across from Horseshoe Falls?

…niagarac.on.ca/people/mcsele/images/Rankine…

Just incase anyone else wants a look!!!!

Louisiana
Level Contributor
91 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Old Building directly across from Horseshoe Falls?

Hi All! Thanks for all the pictures. The old building I was referring too is the building on the banks of the river, it appears its built on the cliff directly across from the Horseshoe falls. Is this possibly an old power plant? It looks abandoned and I wouldnt think anyone would be taking wedding pictures here but I could be mistaken.

Thanks for any additional information anyone can provide.

Alex,Egypt
Level Contributor
250 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Old Building directly across from Horseshoe Falls?

U mean the one u get close to on the way to the maid of the mist???

What i'm not sure, but some said it's where they measure the water level, something like that, but it's not situated in a suitable place nor big enough to be a power plant...I mean where are the turbines that will produce electricity???

There's a story that says that it was a power plant but now it's like a control room or soemthing, well it might be, but i guess it's not something of great use.

Niagara Falls
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Old Building directly across from Horseshoe Falls?

Hi heyheyhelen - the replies are correct. The building you saw is part of the Canadian Niagara Power generation. It houses the big old oily mechanical thingies. There are several couples who do get their wedding photes done there as was mentioned before, I have had a few friends who had theirs done posing by the huge columns in the front of the building and then processed in black and white - very cool pictures.

Milton, Pa
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Old Building directly across from Horseshoe Falls?

It used to be a power plant but they don't use it for that anymore, it is abandoned pretty much- they may use it for storage. Maid of the Mist used to explain what it was, & I think at Journey Behind the Falls they may mention it as well.

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
5,761 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Old Building directly across from Horseshoe Falls?

www.infoniagara.com/d-att-canadian.html

Must be the building in the top right corner on this page then!!! I thought you meant the one on the road at the top.

I don't know exactly but it must be something to do with or was to to with gererating power. One would imagine!