We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crossing the border from NY to Canada

Which Niagara Falls hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Sill, Oklahoma
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Crossing the border from NY to Canada

My parents and husband and I planned a trip this week to stay two nights on the Canada side of Niagara Falls. I can't locate my birth certificate anywhere. My husband has his and I have our original marriage certificate, will they let me cross?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
88 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Crossing the border from NY to Canada

You can go online and order a certified copy of your birth certificate; if you pay the added fee, it can be delivered to you very quickly. I wouldn't risk going without one, but good luck, whatever you decide.

Buffalo
Level Contributor
563 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Crossing the border from NY to Canada

ok lots of questions here maybe i can answer them all. crossing between buffalo/niagara and canada is very laid back. it used to be that the customs agents would ask your citizenship, relation to everybody in the vehicle, where you were going and your business. but after 9/11 things got a little bit more tight, well tight is a big overstatement. now they ask citizenship, where your going, your business and SOMETIMES for id. if you check out local websites including the border agencies' website, theyll tell you the same thing.....adults SHOULD have photo id and/or birth certificate (yes a copy is good enough) and children should have a birth certificate or copy and (if possible) id. if you are a us citizen or coming from the us, your going to have a harder time getting back into the us. the problem isnt going over, its coming back. heres a few examples to explain. 1) teens and younger people from the us side always go over to ontario to get to clifton hill to do certain things they cant do legally in the us, ie: get a piercing or tattoo. they always get over easily without a hassle but coming back might be harder when the border agent sees a car full of suspicious 16 year olds. 2) my great-grandmother is a citizen of the uk, moved to canada when she was 12, and moved to buffalo when she was in her 40s. shes still a uk citizen. she always hates going over the border to visit relatives because she fears the us will be suspicious and ship her back to the uk. ok so before i click submit, i think the thing i can stress most is have id if you can, it makes everything go much more smoothly, and plus, the thousands of people waiting on the bridge will be happy too when your car doesnt get stopped for 20 minutes. but people realize, they dont call this the friendliest border in the world just because our 2 governments are friendly to each other.

Niagara
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Crossing the border from NY to Canada

I'd bring the old beat up cert.and whatever else you've got

West Virginia
Level Contributor
37 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Crossing the border from NY to Canada

Get a raised-seal copy... You should be able to buy one online in most states.

florida
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Crossing the border from NY to Canada

Well, I'm just gonna bring the ol' original ...as tattered as it is...in addition to my (expired) passport.

QUESTION:

Looking at my wife's birth certificate....it's in her 'maiden name' (which, obviously is different from the name on her picture ID). Anybody ever experience this --could this present a problem?

Woodstock, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Crossing the border from NY to Canada

I have been crossing the border at Buffalo for almost 3 years now and my birth certificate is a copy. I tell them I don't carry my original because I am afraid of losing it. I get through every time both into Canada and the US. I am an American married to a Canadian. That also leads to other problems. Seriously just use a copy it is still proof.

Woodstock, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Crossing the border from NY to Canada

It does not matter as I have said my birth certificate is a copy and has my maiden name on it also but my drivers licence is from Ohio and has my married name on it. The first name is the same.