We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When is the best time to visit?

California, U.S.
Level Contributor
123 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
When is the best time to visit?

I am planning to visit Niagara Falls next year and I would like to find out when will be a good time to visit the falls?

Also, should we go to Toronto or we can stay in U.S. to visit the great fall?

Thank you.

Best Seller
Niagara Falls Canadian Side Tour and...
1,093 Reviews
from $109.95*
Best Seller
Niagara Falls in One Day: Deluxe...
1,140 Reviews
from $149.95*
Best Seller
Best of Niagara Falls Tour from...
819 Reviews
from $125.10*
Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
10,061 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When is the best time to visit?

Niagara Falls, Ontario has much more to offer than Niagara Falls, NY, as far as views, hotels, attractions, etc. These sites will give you some perspective: http://www.niagarafallstourism.com/ http://www.niagaraparks.com/ niagarafallslive.com/Niagara_Falls_Interacti…

July and August are the busiest months. June and September are the best times, as the weather is nice, all attractions are going and crowds are much less.

Toronto is about 1 1/2 hour drive from Niagara Falls. You should definitely consider spending some time there since you are so close.

New York
Level Contributor
102 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When is the best time to visit?

Early to mid October are nice too - the Fall colors along the Niagara Gorge are spectacular and the attractions are still up and running.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
411 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: When is the best time to visit?

October, and April are IMO the best times to visit. Weather is hit or miss, but no crowds and always pretty. Id avoid the US side at all costs, not much goin on over there! And it isnt very easy on the eyes at all!

Canada Eh
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When is the best time to visit?

personnaly I love to visit in the winter time, no crowds and the hotel prices are much cheaper......1 month and counting now..........

Waterdown
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When is the best time to visit?

Here are the best times to go, depending on what you are trying to do.

Gambling is a year-round activity that has made Niagara a year- round attraction. Only check out Niagara Falls, NY for shopping (outlet mall - the one on the Canadian side is the furthest thing price-wise from an outlet mall possible) or cheap hotels if you must have it - I haven't heard good reviews of hotels on the US side.

Winter: Gamble, see Falls, Stay in nice hotels and eat at nice restaurants, with discounts on the hotels. Catch a play at the Shaw as well; 30 minute drive for awesome theatre.

Spring: Best time to go if you want to see the flowers in Niagara; the botanical gardens and Floral clock are beautiful. Fireworks are usually weekly when you get into the Spring on weekend evenings. Light show at the Falls. Shaw Festival winding down, early Spring your best bet if you want to get a play in.

Summer: Incredibly hot on a hot day, very little shade near the main falls. Table Rock is only slightly air conditioned as of summer 2008. Many tourists. IMHO best avoided in the summer unless you plan to something "off-book" like hiking.

Fall: The best time to go in my view as well. When the kids are back in school you will still see a lot of tourists but not the pressing throngs of summer. Cheaper hotels and gorgeous trees combine to make this the best season for me in Niagara.

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
10,061 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: When is the best time to visit?

A couple of corrections, staker2.

The Shaw Theater season runs from May to October. There are no shows during the winter.

The Fireworks over the Falls start in late May and run until late September, as well as during the Festival of Lights.

California, U.S.
Level Contributor
123 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: When is the best time to visit?

Thank you. So, it would be good to visit end of May so we will not miss the light show.

sudbury,ontario
Level Contributor
350 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: When is the best time to visit?

We have been going in Sept. for more years than I want to mention. Room rates are cheaper, weather still is great and there are still enough people around Clifton Hill in evenings to make it enjoyable.

9. Re: When is the best time to visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:21 am, October 07, 2009