We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Miad of the Mist - Canada or US?

Which Niagara Falls hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ann Arbor, MI
3 posts
Save Topic
Miad of the Mist - Canada or US?

We are heading from Michigan, through Ontario to see the Falls on our way to Boston in June. Yes, this is probably a terribly crowded time to see the Falls.

Since the Maid of the Mist looks like it leaves from both the Canadian and US sides, I was wondering if one was better than the other in terms of view and also crowds/lines. If anyone can make a suggestion on this, it will drive my decision about where to overnight.

Thanks. AJBE

Level Contributor
2,033 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Miad of the Mist - Canada or US?

When I took www.maidofthemist.com, there were 3 boats Cdn for every 1 boat U.S. This is because Niagara Falls Ontario is a more popular tourist destination. The boats launch directly across the river from each other - so similar views. It really doesn't matter from which country you take the boat.

You'll find much more choice - and newer - hotels in NF Ontario.

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
5,761 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Miad of the Mist - Canada or US?

Stay in Ontario for sure, I would guess the Niagara Falls Ont maid would go closer to the horseshoe falls (Canadian and the only one people come to see)and the Us one closer to their falls. But who knows they might both go as close to both but I have never really taken much notice. I went on from the Canadian side of course and it is pretty awesome and you get soaked but they give you a throw away rain coat.

Enjoy

Lemon

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
786 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Miad of the Mist - Canada or US?

I believe they both take the same route to underneath the Horseshoe falls, only going to opposite shores to dock. Will the Canada side be more crowded? Possibly, because everything is on the Canadian side, and virtually nothing on the US side. But Canada is where you want to stay to see everything quickly. The lodging choices are endless, depending on what you want. You did not mention what day your visit will be on. This makes a BIG difference. Weekends will be much more crowded, and hotels will be more. So I would advise a weekday visit if your itinerary is flexible