We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tax

Which Niagara Falls hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
PA
4 posts
Save Topic
Tax

I was talking to a friend who visited the falls last summer. He said a meal at the Keg in Emabassy Suites had a huge surcharge that was explained as tax(es?). Did he get ripped off or is there a huge entertainment type tax applied to meals?

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
786 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Tax

If you're not Canadian, the 7% GST can be refunded on Accomodations, and souvenir and clothing purchases of at least $50 CAN. Save your receipts and stop at the Duty Free shop at the border. Take a few minutes to get the rebate, or use it to shop there.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
786 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Tax

The exchange rate to US dollars complicates the equation. If you don't know exactly what the total is sometimes it looks like the tax is more or someone is adding something on. Hotels are good for giving you less than the proper exchange rate, yet their websites are behind and still say its higher. When I made my reservations last August for the Courtyard( for a November visit) their website was still giving 35%. I follow the rate daily in my local newspaper, and knew it was plummeting, so when I went in November the going rate was 20%, my hotel was only giving 15%. I knew, so I didn't think I was being ripped off. TGIF, next door, the waitress even told me , don't look at the US$ prices on the menu, they were way off, but they hadn't yet changed the menu.