We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Journey Behind the Falls or Cave of the Winds

Which Niagara Falls hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chillicothe, Ohio
Level Contributor
87 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Journey Behind the Falls or Cave of the Winds

We will be in the area next week. We can't decide if we want to do the Journey Behind the Falls, or the Cave of the Winds tour. Is one a lot better, than the other? Should we do both? Would we be able to walk across the border to the US to COTW???

fallsdude, I hope you can help.......

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
8,811 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Journey Behind the Falls or Cave of the Winds

Yes, you can walk across the Rainbow Bridge back into the U.S. Make sure that you carry your ID's, as you will go through U.S. and Canadian customs again.

Cave of the Winds is actually not a cave at all, but a series of boardwalks and stairs that go right up to the bottom of the Bridal Veil Falls. An elevator takes you down to the river level.

niagarafallsstatepark.com/Activities_CaveOfT…

Journey Behind the Falls also starts with an elevator down to a tunnel that actually goes in behind the Horseshoe Falls, with portals that let you see the back side of the Falls. There is also an outdoor observation platform beside the Falls.

www.niagaraparks.com/nfgg/behindthefalls.php

Both are very worthwhile and get you as close as possible to the Falls.

Chillicothe, Ohio
Level Contributor
87 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Journey Behind the Falls or Cave of the Winds

fallsdude,

Is Cave of the Winds a walkable distance from the Rainbow Bridge, or do we need to travel by car?

I know the Journey Behind the Falls, is part of the package from Niagara Parks, but didn't know if it was worth the trip back across to the US, for the Cave of the Wind attraction.

What do you think, about the aero car, and the whilrpool walk?

THANKS for all your help, not only to my messages, but others you have replied to on this board that I have read. Your info, is a great help to all.

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
8,811 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Journey Behind the Falls or Cave of the Winds

COTW is definitely walkable, less than a mile. This picture will give you some perspective. The Rainbow Bridge is about 1/4 mile across. COTW is at the Bridal Veil Falls, which is the small one right of the American Falls. Journey Behind the Falls is at the edge of the Horseshoe Falls on the Canadian side.

niagarafallslive.com/Niagara_Falls_Interacti…

If you are getting the Adventure Pass, it includes White Water Walk, which is pretty neat to be able to get so close to category 6 rapids. The Aero Car is not included in the Pass, but is a stop on the People Mover route, so you can always check it out and see if it is your 'cup o tea'.

Chillicothe, Ohio
Level Contributor
87 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Journey Behind the Falls or Cave of the Winds

fallsdude,

Thanks for the info on COTW. We were worried about walking across, and finding out it was a huge walk to get there. We are going to purchase the Adventure Pass, and the White Water Walk does sound pretty cool. We don't mind that the Aero Car is not included in the Adventure Pass, as we have talked to some friends here in Ohio, who thought that attraction was very good.

The whole area looks really nice. We are staying in St. Catharines, and it looks like a beautiful city, and plan to tour that city, on Monday afternoon/evening. Is there anything there, we shouldn't miss? Either attractions or dining.

Can't wait to get there on Monday, and enjoy some cooler weather. I'm sure it will be 3 great nights, and we can't wait to see the falls at night, with the fireworks on Wednesday.

Canada
Level Contributor
297 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Journey Behind the Falls or Cave of the Winds

St. Catharines:

The beach at Port Dalhousie (which is part of St. Cath) is pleasant, with an old-fashioned carousel ride and marina and a walk out on the pier to the old lighthouse. There's a live theatre there too.

If you are into ships and marine history, the Welland Canal Centre is cool.

The Rodman Hall Arts Centre is small but interesting. Housed in a 19th century mansion with some original features still intact (stained glass, marble fireplaces, etc). Look for the sculpture on the outside grounds as well called "The Race" by William McElcheran. It's hilarious. One of my all-time favourites.

Chillicothe, Ohio
Level Contributor
87 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Journey Behind the Falls or Cave of the Winds

Doeraymee,

Thank You for that info. We had read a little about Port Dalhousie, (my wife is a fan of any kind of lighthouse) and the Welland Canal Centre, we had not heard anything about Rodman Hall. It sounds beautiful.

Our vacations, are about doing/seeing things, that we can not do at home, and Rodman Hall sounds like a great place to visit.

What about great restaurants in St. Catharines?

We look forward to being there next week.

Thanks for you help. It's people like you taking the time to post and share their knowledge of the area, that makes these boards great.

Satsuma, Alabama
Level Contributor
188 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Journey Behind the Falls or Cave of the Winds

We have been to the falls three times. Once, they had the COTW closed for maint. on the elevator. But the other times we went on the COTW and behind the falls. In "MY opinion" the COTW is a "MUST SEE AND DO". just my two cents, and have a great trip.

Chillicothe, Ohio
Level Contributor
87 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Journey Behind the Falls or Cave of the Winds

tatterd,

Thanks for your imput. We have been to neither, so we were trying to figure out, if we need to do COTW or Behind the Falls, or both.

It sounds like we will do both for sure now.

Satsuma, Alabama
Level Contributor
188 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Journey Behind the Falls or Cave of the Winds

The reason I like COTW is when your on the walkway at the base (side) of the falls and the water is coming over and your looking straight up plus some of the water is hitting boulders and splashing over and drenching you, IT IS JUST THE COOLEST THING AROUND. On the other side at behind the falls, it ISN"T just " BEHIND THE FALLS". There are Three, I think, places where you can look at the falls,, but the first is real close the the water as it is hitting the bottem and the spray mist will get you real wet if you stand there very long. Its nice there just as well, but you don't get SOAKED like at COTW. Also at the COTW, IF you deceide NOT to walk up to the platform where the waterfall hit you, then there is a bypass ramp you can take and not go. kind of defeats the purpose of the whole experiance tho. Have your heard of the "JET BOAT" ride they have at niagara on the lake, where you ride (up to 50 people at a time,BIG boat) up the river to play in the rapids. Do a google for "jet boat, niagara" and look at their site. It is probably the coolest and wettest boat ride you can experiance. Have fun, jim

Calabash, North...
Level Contributor
332 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Journey Behind the Falls or Cave of the Winds

Journey Behind the Falls is on the Adventure Pass. You will pay about $45 American including tax for the pass. So you could do all that is on it: Maid of the Mist, Journey, Wild Water Walk, butterfly conservatory, incline railway and peoplemover bus. If you can afford it, walk across to the US and do the Caves too. Just for those who didn't know: you can do Maid of the Mist from either side.