We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New in town from the UK- ideas on where to go!

Which Mississauga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
77 posts
227 reviews
Save Topic
New in town from the UK- ideas on where to go!

Hi there, I've just moved here from the UK. Can anyone give me any tips on where is reasonably priced to eat and shop and where the best Indian/Chinese/Mexican restaurants in the area are? Thanks!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
364 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New in town from the UK- ideas on where to go!

Where are you? This is posted in the Mississauga forum, but your tag line says Toronto. Even within Mississauga, you might get different suggestions if you live near Etobicoke (east side) or Oakville (west side) or Brampton (north side).

I suspect the best Chinese restaurants are in Scarborough and Markham, not Mississauga. However, there are 2 ok ones in Mississauga: Summit Garden at Dundas/Winston Churchill and Emerald at Hurontario and the 403.

I'm not a good source of info for Indian or Mexican.

What are you shopping for? For clothes shopping in Mississauga, most people end up at Square One (the largest mall) on Hurontario south of the 403, or at Erin Mills Town Center (Eglinton and Erin Mills Parkway.) There is a very small outlet store south of the QEW at Dixie Road too. If you have a car there are big, spread out stores at what's called Heartland http://www.heartlandtown.com/index_FLASH.html You can't walk easily from store to store here as they are all spread out.

If you mean groceries, it varies depending where in the city you are. In the east end there are more Asian groceries. In the west end, you're more limited to big chain supermarkets like Loblaws, No Frills, Metro and Sobeys. For the chains, it's a good idea to look at the flyers to try to save.

You can find most flyers online at

http://mississauga.flyerland.ca/

If you're in Toronto, you may want to re-post on the Toronto forum for better answers. Again, more detail about what part of the city you're in would help.

Either way, welcome!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,109 posts
751 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New in town from the UK- ideas on where to go!

In Toronto, if you want Mexican, head to Kensington Market (more specifically Augusta Ave).....there is also The Grand Electric on Queen West...

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
6,462 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New in town from the UK- ideas on where to go!

Be sure to define what you're looking for in terms of Indian cuisine and Chinese cuisine. I know many British expats expect British-style Chinese food and British-style Indian food, and then get disappointed by Canadian-style Chinese food and Canadian-style Indian food. As a result, the "best" Chinese restaurant or "best" Indian restaurant may not interest you as it might be different styles of cuisine that you're used to. Is there a particular dish you're craving?

Edited: 9:15 pm, November 09, 2012
Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
168 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New in town from the UK- ideas on where to go!

If you want to try something new an fun, there is Miga Korean BBQ on Dundas near the 403. It is on the border of Mississauga and Oakville.

Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
77 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New in town from the UK- ideas on where to go!

Thanks for your quick responses- nice to know there's so many helpful people around. I live in Missisauga but will be travelling to Toronto too, so interested in both areas.

@Betcrooks- I mean groceries. I went to Loblaws and Walmart in Heartland but I found the goods expensive compared to the UK- are these stores 'normal' price for Canada? Thanks for the tip about the flyers. I'll check out the Asian groceries too, I love Chinese supermarkets in the UK!

@tdsuperstar- noted, thanks for the tip!

@BC Robyn- Is the Indian food here as spicy as in the UK? I love vegetarian curries, my favourites being Vindaloo, Achaari and Pathia. When I lived in Dubai, they had more authentic Indian restaurants and cafes more suited to Indian tastebuds which were delicious- is this the case here? I like all sorts of Chinese food as long as its vegetarian friendly- noodles, dim sums, bring it on!

@Dave D- thanks for the tip!

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New in town from the UK- ideas on where to go!

There is a large Chinese area on Dundas Rd near Tompkin Rd. This is a large mall entirely made up of Chinese restaurants and stores.

However you still haven't mentioned where in Mississauga you live. If you could give an intersection of two major streets would be very helpful. Mississauga is very large.

Edited: 10:44 am, November 10, 2012
SE Ontario
Level Contributor
14,571 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New in town from the UK- ideas on where to go!

Yes - the grocery prices are normal for Canada ... although they can vary somewhat in different parts of the country. Also remember that we are now into fall/winter, so fresh fruits & vegetables will be expensive given that they are are not locally produced at this time of year.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,109 posts
751 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New in town from the UK- ideas on where to go!

No problem, glad to help!

Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
168 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New in town from the UK- ideas on where to go!

Your welcome, I hope you enjoy the experience.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
25,292 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New in town from the UK- ideas on where to go!

Hi VindalooQueen..........there is an area in Missassauga/Malton, not far from Pearson Airport called Malton Village and here you will find many Indian, and Asian restaurants and groceries................Airport Rd. and Derry Rd. is the major intersection............