We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel and river cruise advice

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
90 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
hotel and river cruise advice

In our upcoming canada road trip, in May, we are planning on staying at the Frontenac Inn, Kingston. rates are good & the rooms look great on their website. Has anyone stayed here?

2nd question: the river-tour-cruises leaving kingston; any recommendations (4 hrs max).

Kingston
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel and river cruise advice

The Frontenac Club would appear to be a small (almost B&B-sized) property which has only recently been opened to travellers, so there may not be a whole lot of info out there. Rates are not inexpensive by Kingston standards but downtown location is good (about a block from the waterfront and easy walking distance to tour boats, city hall and a couple of museums).

As for the river tours? Kingston tours tend to be either short 1��-hour trips which let you see about half the region, no stopovers, or 3-hour+ evening cruises where you're paying a premium for dining or dancing.

If you want to see the whole region or stop at Boldt Castle (and you have a car to drive outside Kingston) you may want to consider the Uncle Sam tour from Alexandria Bay (and Clayton) on the NY side or maybe the Gananoque boat line on the Canadian side. The number of Gananoque trips which stop at the castle were greatly reduced post-9/11 due to problems with customs delays as Boldt Castle is on Heart Island NY. The castle was built by George Boldt of Waldorf-Astoria h��tel (and 1000 island salad) fame for his beloved wife Louise and is a popular US attraction in the region.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
90 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel and river cruise advice

carlb613 - thank you again. we do have a car so will take your advice into consideration; the crusies don't sound quite what we wanted. Since it is relatively new, I'll make a point of writing a review for the Fclub.

if you have any other pearls of wisdom for our trip - please offer them. we are doing 3 days in toronto, 1 day/overnight at the falls, kingston, on to ottawa(staying at Albert at Bay), then up to QC & back down to Montreal (our fly-out point).

Lakefield Ont.
Level Contributor
11 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel and river cruise advice

I would suggest while in the Kingston area to take the drive down number 2 hwy to Gananoque ( which is about 15 to 20 min. east) and take the boat tour from here on the Gananoque boat line. They have verious lenghts of tours; and the boats are a good size(usually 3 decks high) with outside and inside side decks and viewing areas if the weather is cool.

On your way to Ottawa I would highly recommend that you take the Thousand Island Parkway ( which starts at Gananoque) and ends back on hwy 401 at Brockville) for a very beautiful and scenic relaxed drive with great views all the way of the St. Lawrence and the thousand islands.

While in Ottawa; be sure to visit the Nature Museum it is well worth the stop, and the Science and Technology Museum. As for the Museum of Civilization; I myself was not as impressed with that one; but others may enjoy it more than I did. There are also boat tours available down the Ottawa river; so you might want to check these out as well.

In Quebec City take a stroll on the boardwalk down at the waterfront; and just above the harbour. Not sure about in May; but during the summer months there are several street performers and activities on the boardwalk. The horse and buggy ride tours (though quite expensive) through old town and up to the fort is a great way to explore the sights.

Hope this helps you with your road trip; and you have a great vacation.

Lake_1