We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train west from Kingston that allows bikes?

Which Kingston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
McKees Rocks, PA
Level Contributor
436 posts
Train west from Kingston that allows bikes?

I will be circumnavigating Lake Ontario by bicycle, going counter clockwise starting in Buffulo. As a last minute decision, I decided to add the Boldt Castle into my tour. Because of scheduling issues I will need to make up a day using public transit if I visit the castle.

I am figuring on being in Alexandria Bay the day I see the castle (I will be coming from Watertown). The the next day ride to Kingston via the Thousand Islands Bridge and then jump on a train to the next town.

I am familiar with the Go Train near Toronto that allows bicycles but it seems that train doesn't come from much past Ajax.

Is there a similar train where I can head west of Kingston that allows bikes?

Can anyone think of a better option than Alexandria Bay, for me to visit the Boldt Castle? I was hoping the leave from the Island on a Canadian ferry but due to customs that is not allowed.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
864 posts
24 reviews
11. Re: Train west from Kingston that allows bikes?

In fairness to the airlines, spinnaker15136, it isn't so much the weight of the bike that justifies the extra charge, but the special handling that oversized items require.

That said, I find it a little annoying that golf bags can be carried as checked baggage at no special charge (other than the cost of a second piece of luggage, if applicable) by many airlines, yet there is always an extra cost for bikes, often for each leg of a flight if it involves a transfer to another aircraft.

McKees Rocks, PA
Level Contributor
436 posts
12. Re: Train west from Kingston that allows bikes?

Yeah your right. I guess I would expect to pay something but $200+?

And I had no special handling on one trip coming back from Italy. My bike came tumbling down the regular luggage ramp. Busted up a shifter good. :(

Your avatar looks like it could be an Italian street?

13. Re: Train west from Kingston that allows bikes?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, May 31, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Kingston