We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from toronto to Vermont via kingston

London, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from toronto to Vermont via kingston

Does anyone have a must do on this route.Two teenagers and two adults.Really appreciate the help.

Ottawa, Ontario...
Level Contributor
281 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from toronto to Vermont via kingston

maggie -

Depends on what you mean by a "must do" - are you looking for the best routing, or places to stop?

If it's the latter, there much to see in the Thousand Islands - if you have the time, it's at least worth a boat tour.

Montreal's enroute, and certainly has it's fill of attractions to consider.

Also - where in Vermont are you headed - if it's the northern part of the state, I would go through Montreal - if it's to the very south, you might consider crossing into the USA at the Thousand Islands Bridge then down I-81.

Noel

Mentioned in this post
Thousand Islands
Thousand Islands
445 Reviews
Alexandria Bay, NY
Vermont
Vermont
United States
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
United States
United States
North America
Thousand Islands Bridge
Thousand Islands Bridge
176 Reviews
Alexandria Bay, NY
London, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from toronto to Vermont via kingston

We are returning from Smugglers Notch -nr Burlington to Montreal to leave Canada so that is why we are not going there first. Just looking for interesting sights and Canadaian adventures on the way.

Pretty well travelled people I nternationally and will appreciate a good breakfast tip as much as a fantastic view or good mom and pop operations.Open to all suggestions Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Smugglers' Notch Resort
Smugglers' Notch Resort
1,249 Reviews
Jeffersonville, VT
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Canada
Canada
North America
Ottawa, Ontario...
Level Contributor
281 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from toronto to Vermont via kingston

maggie -

OK, a little clearer to me now. First off, if you're planning to drive straight-through, there's two main options:

The "shorter" route, distance wise, takes you east on highway 401 as far as Cornwall, ON, where you cross into NY state, following NY state route 37 east to Malone, NY, then US 11east to the Vermont border, where you pick up US 2 east which works its way along Grand Isle in the middle of Lake Champlain to Burlington, VT.

The alternative, which I would contend is faster because it's pretty much all on multlane freeways, again takes you east on highway 401 to the Quebec border, where it becomes autoroute 20 and entres Montreal, where you would turn onto autoroute 10 east - a bit east of Montreal, switch to autoroute 35 south, which becomes Quebec highway 133 right to the US border, upon which it becomes interstate 89.

My strong preference would be to go through Montreal and stick to the major highways where you can maintain a higher speed, saving time for stops of what you want to see. I recall driving back to Ontario from northern Vermont one night several years ago, and on a whim opted for the route through upstate NY and crossing at Cornwall - the journey on US 11 felt like it took forever!

As far as things to do enroute - and you mentioned you're planning a separate trip to Montreal - a few options. Depending on how many extra nights you wanted to spend...

Thousand Islands: quite spectacular - litterally thousands of islands within the St. Lawrence between Canada and the US - at the least, consider the boat cruise, which departs from either Gananoque or Kingston. There's also an observation tower near the Thousand Islands bridge linking interstate 81 to the 401. I would suggest good for at least a half-day detour.

Kingston: one of Canada's first capital cities - a delightful downtown and home to a large university. Again, good for at least a half day detour

Ottawa: Canada's capital - just one hour north of highway 401, and thus a total of two hours out of your way. Filled with museums, galleries, Parliament Hill, Rideau Canal. Could easily make a full day detour enroute.

Prince Edward Country: Very scenic and popular right now - includes one of Ontario's best beaches (Sandbanks), all sorts of historic inns and b&bs, downtown Picton and a selection of wineries.

Overall then, if you've got the time, you may want to consider taking 3 days to get to Smugglers' Notch. First day leaving Toronto and overnighting in Kingston or Ottawa. Second day could be exploring Kingston/Thousand Islands or Ottawa. Third day would give you a reasonable drive the rest of the way from either Kingston or Ottawa to Vermont.

If you're thinking just a two day trip, to break up the drive a bit and have a short stop over, I would probably stay overnight in Kingston (decent size city with a decent selection of hotels) and taking the thousand islands boat tour and/or window shopping in downtown Kingston.

Noel

Mentioned in this post
Vermont
Vermont
United States
Lake Champlain
Lake Champlain
78 Reviews
Vermont
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Thousand Islands
Thousand Islands
445 Reviews
Alexandria Bay, NY
Canada
Canada
North America
Gananoque
Gananoque
Ontario, Canada
Kingston
Kingston
Ontario, Canada
Thousand Islands Bridge
Thousand Islands Bridge
176 Reviews
Alexandria Bay, NY
Ottawa
Ottawa
Ontario, Canada
Parliament Hill
Parliament Hill
1,998 Reviews
Ottawa, Canada
Rideau Canal
Rideau Canal
4,398 Reviews
Ottawa, Canada
Prince Edward County
Prince Edward County
Ontario, Canada
Picton
Picton
Prince Edward County, Canada
Smugglers' Notch Resort
Smugglers' Notch Resort
1,249 Reviews
Jeffersonville, VT
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
London, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from toronto to Vermont via kingston

Noel you are so sweet -thanks you so much for taking the time to write with such detail.Will stay a few days in Kingston to see the area properly,some research suggested -as you did -the area is worth a real wander. Great advice .

Mentioned in this post
Kingston
Kingston
Ontario, Canada
5. Re: Driving from toronto to Vermont via kingston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 pm, August 16, 2009