We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pretty route Kingston to Toronto Airport

Which Kingston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Pretty route Kingston to Toronto Airport

|We have plenty of time to get to Toronto airport from Kingston and were thinking of taking route 2. Is there plenty to see and will we be able to travel at va slower rate than the main highway?

Thx

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
3,957 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Pretty route Kingston to Toronto Airport

You'll definitely be travelling more slowly along Highway 2 than Highway 401. The 401 is a divided freeway with a 100 km/h limit most of if not the entire way, with the flow of traffic often around 120 km/h. Highway 2 I think has an 80 km/h speed limit and passes through many towns where speed limits are lower and intersections are a factor. I guess it's a pleasant road but to really see anything other than the centres of a few towns you would have to make stops/detours, and if you wanted to visit any places along the way you could still use the 401 to save time between them, since the two roads stay pretty close to each other.

Also keep in mind that to get to Pearson you'll be driving all the way across Toronto, which can mean traffic delays depending on the hour. Traffic delays are not likely to be a factor on the way to Toronto, regardless of which road you take.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
17,614 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pretty route Kingston to Toronto Airport

Highway 2 is indeed a slower route, but significantly more scenic. You will pass through lovely historic towns, orchards, farmlands, etc. You will have an opportunity to see how many in rural Ontario live. Many of the towns have preserved their main streets and surrounding homes, most of which date back to the 1800's. The highway is essentially the main street in most towns.For a sense of some of the comunities you will pass through, here are a few links:

http://www.appleroute.com/

http://www.northumberlandtourism.com/en/

I note in another post you weere concerned about missing Canada Day celebbrations in Toronto. Although you're unable to be in these communities on Canada Day, they all have parades on their main streets on July 1st. Perhaps that will give you a sense of what these communities are like.

The best place to re-enter onto Hwy401 is at Port Hope. As tweedwolf has noted, the two highways essentially run parallel to each other, so it is easy to get back to the 401 if you feel you are running late.

Edited: 7:54 pm, June 14, 2012
Athens, Ontario
Level Contributor
555 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pretty route Kingston to Toronto Airport

How much time do you have? I would suggest Loyalist Parkway (the 33) over the 2. It runs along Lake Ontario and includes a short ride on a free ferry. It goes through Prince Edward County, close to Lake on the Mountain and Sandbanks Provincial Parks, and ends around where the Apple Route starts.

Not sure where you are coming from before you get to Kingston, but the 1000 Islands Parkway between Brockville and Gananoque is also a nice drive.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pretty route Kingston to Toronto Airport

thanks for the suggestions. We will be covering Kingston to Montreal in another part of our trip so we have about 8 hours to get from Kingston to the airport. I have looked at the apple route and it seems very pretty. Route 33 is my next investigation (I have maps) and at a quick glance we will combine all 3 if possible. My map skills are quite good , I just have a problem getting instructions for left or right turn to the driver in time!!

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
17,614 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pretty route Kingston to Toronto Airport

You're very welcome. Loyalist parkway (33) is indeed a lovely route also, and the two combined should provide a relaxing way to get back to the city.

Cheers!

Edited: 7:44 am, June 15, 2012
6. Re: Pretty route Kingston to Toronto Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:53 pm, June 17, 2013