We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Border travel from Syracuse NY to Kingston Canada

Anderson, South...
1 post
Save Topic
Border travel from Syracuse NY to Kingston Canada

I am traveling on business to Kingston and was wondering if it is easy to cross somewhere to Kinston from NY? I can fly to Syracuse and drive two hours to Kingston.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,954 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Border travel from Syracuse NY to Kingston Canada

Welcome to TripAdvisor, Kate;

Head north on I-81 which ends at the Canada / US border. (approx. 100 miles)

Continue north to Highway 401. (approx. 2.5 miles)

Head west on the 401 to Kingston. (approx. 30 miles)

The drive is about 2 hours, but you will need to factor in additional time at the border, and any breaks.

There are some car rental companies that will not permit their cars out of the province or out of the country, or charge a premium if they do. Most of the larger rental companies will allow cross border travel.

Ensure that the car rental company notes on the rental agreement that they authorize you to take the car into the US. You may be asked by Customs when entering the US, or when re-entering Canada, for this documentation.

Do your plans include some time to sightsee ?

Best Regards

Edited: 1:49 pm, February 14, 2012
Ontario
Level Contributor
125 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Border travel from Syracuse NY to Kingston Canada

Kate, I fly from Syracuse and cross at Gananoque all the time. it's a good highway with not much traffic. The trip to Kingston usually takes us about an hour and a half. Not bad at all.

Enterprise allows cross border travel as long as you return the car to the same location when you are done, I'm sure other companies do too but that is who I use most of the time.

Border crossing is easy most of the time and only once were they backed up. If you are flying back out of Syracuse be sure to cross the border with PLENTY of time to get your flight. In fact lots of times I'll go down the night before a morning flight and stay at one of the hotels very close to the airport in Syracuse just in case.

I realize Kate you have probably already done this trip but, others might be interested in flying in and out of Syracuse and coming to Kingston.

And yes, I highly recommend taking some time to sight see! Kingston is lovely!

Kingston, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Border travel from Syracuse NY to Kingston Canada

Hi, I saw a write up in Kingston about a new shuttle service started from Kingston, Ontario to Syracuse Airport

and return. Check www.shuttlekingston.com

4. Re: Border travel from Syracuse NY to Kingston Canada

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:35 pm, April 14, 2013
5. Re: Border travel from Syracuse NY to Kingston Canada

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 16, 2014