We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why vacation in Kingston?

california
Level Contributor
85 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Why vacation in Kingston?

This is a very basic question! We have no idea about anything in the area but may have a chance to be there in a home exchange.

What's here? We need basid Kingston area 101.

Enough for a month or so?

Ontario
Level Contributor
125 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Why vacation in Kingston?

Everything everyone said above who made excellent suggestions is true. Kingston is simply lovely and I've traveled and lived in many, many places. It's the second largest retirement city in Canada for a reason. Lots to do for a city this size, more restaurants per capita than any city in Canada. Gorgeous water front. Old world charm, friendly people, tons of artsy shops, the huge farmers market in summer. It's extremely charming at Christmas with it's strolling carol singers in the downtown, the market square skating rink behind city hall, and pretty lights. But summer is when Kingston really shines for tourists. If you enjoy festivals I'd say check out Buskers in the summer, rent a sail boat, take a day trip to the Sandbanks, try some local wines along the way there. Make sure to go to the local glass blowers shop and to the other independent artists stores downtown too. Lots of great unique shopping experiences.

My favorite time here is fall when Queen's university campus comes alive with colour and Sydenham Ward's old homes can be strolled by with the leaves all brilliant red and gold.

If you enjoy Cambridge in the U.S. then I think you will like Kingston. I've lived in both places and like Kingston better.

It is VERY easy to take the train from here to Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal on Via Rail too. Enjoy your trip to Kingston and welcome!

Edited: 8:26 pm, February 19, 2012
1000 Islands, NY
Level Contributor
20 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Why vacation in Kingston?

Kingston itself is a really nice town. It is home to Queens University and the Royal Military Academy (Canada's West Point). It is very historic as other have mention and they've done a great job of keeping their waterfront downtown vital and attractive.

Top reasons for Kingston -

Level Contributor
85 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Why vacation in Kingston?

Excellent post from RAF109!

Kingston, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Why vacation in Kingston?

Bellevue House is really great. It was the home of Sir John A. Macdonald right before his political career took off. The artifacts are very impressive, and so is the garden.

15. Re: Why vacation in Kingston?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:30 am, May 24, 2013