We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wolfe Island Ferry Question

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
313 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Wolfe Island Ferry Question

Hi - We will be traveling to the U.S. in two weeks and would like to use the Wolfe Island Ferry. Are there typically line-ups/long waits on a Friday afternoon or is crossing fairly simple? From the Ferry website, it doesn't sound like a problem but I thought I'd double-check anyway. Thanks for your help!

Renish

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wolfe Island Ferry Question

Hi Renish,

Welcome to the KINGSTON TRAVEL FORUM

It does seem that just about every time I go past the Ferry Terminal there are long line-ups... but the Ferry does hold a good amount of vehicles (55 cars)... and with ferries that run every hour most people are able to get on the next one. When you arrive, they will tell you if you'll make the next one or not (say it is 1:45 PM and the next two ferries are 2:00 PM and 3:00 PM)

Not sure as to the rules in regards to Truck Traffic... as there are communities on the Island... it is possible that if a Semi-Trailer or Commercial Vehicle shows up... they may have the right-of-way over Passenger Vehicles (couldn't find this on the Website... but know in some communities where there is Ferry Service this is normally the case).

The Wolfe Island Ferry is provided FREE of charge for your use c/o the Ontario Ministry of Transportation.

Wolfe Island is very pretty… make sure to bring along your camera !!

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

PS... Horne’s Ferry on the other side of Wolfe Island is very small… takes maybe 4 or 5 cars at most. And is pretty pricy for its 5 minute ride. It connects across the main shipping channel to Cape Vincent NY… and it is quite common therefore to see Ocean Going Vessels & Lakers in the channel. The Border Kiosk on the Cape Vincent side is very tiny… and the Guards I’ve found have been pretty inquisitive as to why one would choose this as a point of entry to the USA… so make sure you have all your paperwork at the ready. You can find more info about Horne’s Ferry including Schedule & Rates on their website = http://hornesferry.com/

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
313 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wolfe Island Ferry Question

Hi Wine-4-2!

Thank you for your very helpful reply. We've decided to do the ferry crossings on our way to the U.S. but we'll come back into Canada by way of the bridge. You help so many people on this forum - thanks for helping me too! We'll be sure to have our camera and passports in hand!

Warmest regards,

Renish

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
25,126 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wolfe Island Ferry Question

I would just add that the ferry from Wolfe Island - Cape Vincent, NY is able to take about 25 - 30 cars (depending on size, trailers, etc.) - more than noted above. I usually take it on my return to Canada, and find it to be a very relaxing way to come home.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
313 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wolfe Island Ferry Question

Thanks phpr!

Maybe we'll come back into Canada using the ferry too - it's good to know it holds a few more than 5 cars.

Warmest regards,

Renish

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wolfe Island Ferry Question

TO PHPR,

<< I would just add that the ferry from Wolfe Island - Cape Vincent, NY is able to take about 25 - 30 cars (depending on size, trailers, etc.) - more than noted above. I usually take it on my return to Canada, and find it to be a very relaxing way to come home. >>

Hmmm… Your post truly has me stumped... as I know both these crossings well.

Kingston to Wolfe Island and the MTO Ferry fits 55 cars as per their website ( http://www.wolfeisland.com/ferry.php ) ... granted it could be less if there are trucks, semis and campers / trailers on-board, as I mentioned in my post above.

…wordpress.com/2010/10/ferry.jpg

The Wofe Island to Cape Vincent, NY service is provided by Horne's Ferry and is a wee boat... that takes maybe a half-dozen cars in a crossing. And I have NEVER seen any commercial traffic on it.

Have never seen anything bigger run by Horne's... (who have been running this Ferry Service in Cape Vincent since 1802)… there are pics on their website ( www.hornesferry.com ) and elsewhere on the web (see GOOGLE IMAGES) and they all clearly show how small this ferry clearly is…

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_lTKhyz8s77g/SotNDCBwVvI/AAAAAAAAGY4/oxoin7cXJEY/s640/texas+160+(2).jpg

Looks like 2 cars aboard in the above photo... they sit 2 more to the back... either side of the wheelhouse... and depending on the size of the vehicles one or two in the mid section that are facing towards the ramps (so perpendicular to the cars currently on in the pic).

I also provide a link to a blog that I found… that has an excellent pic of the Horne Ferry in the Seaway Channel = www.genx40.com/images/2004/honrenor2.JPG

And farther down on the blog… genx40.com/archive/2004/may/capevincentand a great video of the Ferry coming into dock… clearly showing just 3 cars on-board… click on *Doing a Power Turn into the Wolfe Island Dock*

So as I said... your post above really has me confused.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Edited: 9:30 pm, August 14, 2011
SE Ontario
Level Contributor
25,126 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wolfe Island Ferry Question

Be stumped if you want - the last time I was on this ferry there were at least 20 vehicles on it ... a bit tight.

And if you look at your photos closer you can easily see that although there are only 3 cars on it, there is plenty of room for more.

I never said there was commercial traffic on the ferry ... but gosh ... some vacationers have been known to travel in RV's or with camper trailers ...

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
4,209 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Wolfe Island Ferry Question

From what I remember from living in Kingston in 2006-08, it is actually difficult to get a car on the Wolfe Island Ferry in the afternoon without showing up well in advance of sailing time. The few times I tried, the boat filled up before my car got on, and I had to wait for the next sail. My advice would be to show up maybe 45 min early, park your car in the waiting area to hold your place, take a walk in downtown Kingston (there's a Food Basics and an LCBO near the dock if you forgot to pack anything), and return to your car 10 or 15 min before sailing time to board.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
313 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wolfe Island Ferry Question

Hi Tweed!

Thanks very much for your suggestion. We will try to plan an early arrival. It's good to know you can leave your car without losing your place in line.

Warmest regards,

Renish

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wolfe Island Ferry Question

Hi Renish,

Lol.. YES leaving your car in line for the MOT Wolfe Island Ferry isn't an issue... it is a very common occurence. Plus there is a Tim Horton's right out front of the Ferry Line Up / Lot (it fronts onto Ontario Street)... it does a rip-roariing business with folks looking to pass the time.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
4,177 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wolfe Island Ferry Question

Just going to hi-jack this thread. Sorry. Is there a nice bar/restaurant close by when you exit the ferry from Kingston? Thanks. ITS.