We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday Inn or Residence Inn

St Austell, United...
Level Contributor
472 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Holiday Inn or Residence Inn

We are trying to decide between the Holiday Inn or the Residence Inn for a 2 night stay in Kingston next summer. Has anyone stayed at either? Would so love to hear a good review or a recommendation of a better place to stay. Thanks

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Holiday Inn or Residence Inn

HI...both hotels sit right on the water in Kingston. Holiday Inn is older, but has been maintained over the years. Residence Inn is brand new, maybe one year old and from what I hear it is very very nice. I live here in Kingston so have not stayed at either really. But myself? I would likely choose Residence Inn on Ontario Street.

Enjoy your stay

Mike

St Austell, United...
Level Contributor
472 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holiday Inn or Residence Inn

Thankyou Mike

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holiday Inn or Residence Inn

Hi Neep,

Welcome to the KINGSTON TRAVEL FORUM.

As MIKE-CABLE has said so well... both of these Hotels are well located right on the waterfront... where everything happens on a Summer's Day.

First the Stats… as of today, Thursday January 6, 2011 (just after 3 PM EST) on the TA HOTEL REVIEWS Section the rankings for these two Hotels are as follows (Remember the REVIEWS is the best place to go for info on Hotel Stays… as it is constantly being updated by fellow TA Members who have recently stayed at any properties).

RESIDENCE INN KINGSTON WATER’S EDGE – Ranked at # 1 out of 34 Hotels for Kingston. A 3 Star Hotel (as awarded by the Hotel Industry based on facilities). This Hotel has 4-1/2 HOOTS for Satisfaction as awarded by TA Members like yourself who have submitted HOTEL REVIEWS. Todate there are 15 Reviews, of that 11 gave it an Excellent and 3 gave it a Very Good which accounts for its 100% Thumbs Up recommendation. The latest Review is dated January 3, 2011.

HOLIDAY INN KINGSTON WATERFRONT – Ranked at # 11 out of 34 Hotels for Kingston, a 3 Star Hotel with 3-1/2 HOOTS for TA Member Satisfaction by Members who have written a HOTEL REVIEW. Todate there are 85 Reviews, of that 21 gave it an Excellent and 29 gave it a Very Good which accounts for its 69% Thumbs Up recommendation. The latest Review is dated December 22, 2010.

NOTE – TA Rankings are based on a Hotel’s “entire” history… so although the Holiday Inn has had a complete refurbishment within the last year, the stats will still take into account those HOTEL REVIEWS written previously. The Marriott Residence Inn, is NEW Construction, so it doesn’t have a “past” to contend with.

--- --- ---

The Holiday Inn has been in this location on the Waterfront, as long as I can recall… they have a very established reputation (good one) in Kingston. And I have stayed there in the past and been a very happy customer. As part of HI’s worldwide rebranding program in the last 2 years, this Hotel got a complete facelift.

As a local DE, I often tour properties… and I did so at the HI this summer… the place looked great… I would not hesitate to recommend it (remember to join their Loyalty Program… “Priority Club”… it is FREE to do so on-line… there are HI’s across North America, that offer good locations, and good values… I stay with them often in large city centres… just returned from a Southern US Trip, and we stayed almost exclusively with HI).

The Marriott’s Residence Inn chain is a set of hotels that is meant for business travellers and such who require long term accommodations… they are more “suite like” in their construction and most (all?) rooms will include a kitchen set-up. A nice plus if you need it… but can be an “added expense” if you don’t. The Residence Inn in Kingston, was built at the western end of the Waterfront, so as to take advantage of both Tourists and those needing accommodations close to both Queen’s University or Kingston’s Hospital… both of which are within easy walking distance of this property.

As in the case of the Holiday Inn, I tried to take a tour of the NEW Residence Inn AFTER it had opened earlier this summer. Unfortunately, I got no further than the Lobby… although they were OPEN the Manager on Duty told me they were still “putting the finishing touches” on the property… so he couldn’t show me any rooms. I admit, I find this a bit weird… you are OPEN to the public for renting out rooms, but can’t show someone a room?

On the other hand, the Residence Inn has been quite forthcoming here on the KINGSTON FORUM with replies to Questions during their construction period. So I give them the benefit of the doubt, until I can actually stay there, and see with my own eyes what is what.

At this point in time, I see the two hotels as running neck-and-neck in the Kingston Hotel Market… either would make for a good stay. In my own case, on my next visit to Kingston, I’ll probably be staying at the one that offers the best rate.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

PS… To further complicate things for you… I’d also recommend looking at the Sheraton’s Four Points Hotel and Suites Kingston which is currently ranked in the # 4 spot.

St Austell, United...
Level Contributor
472 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Holiday Inn or Residence Inn

Hey Wine 4-2 - what a great input - I really do appreciate your comments. Kind regards Neep

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Holiday Inn or Residence Inn

Hi Neep,

You are very welcome... glad to help.

Do come back after all is said & done and let us know how you made out.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

PS... I should have mentioned that the Four Points Hotel and Suites Kingston, is up on King Street, and so not on the waterfront... but it is still very central... about 1 block to Ontario Street (take a look at an On-Line Mapping Service to get a better feel for the area)... Restaurants abound on both King & Ontario, and the surrounding area (ie Princess Street).

6. Re: Holiday Inn or Residence Inn

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:54 am, April 27, 2011
West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
74,729 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Holiday Inn or Residence Inn

Hi Mike;

As a new user of the forums, I would suggest familiarizing yourself with the posting guidelines in regards to business users.

tripadvisor.ca/help/what_are_the_guidelines_…

Best Regards

St Austell, United...
Level Contributor
472 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Holiday Inn or Residence Inn

Hi Mike

Thankyou for your comments - we have booked to stay at the Residence Inn for our vacation from England in August.

9. Re: Holiday Inn or Residence Inn

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 pm, October 22, 2012