We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good canoe spots close to Kingston?

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Good canoe spots close to Kingston?

My husband and I just moved to Kingston and just acquired a canoe from a relative. Seeing we're novice canoers, we are looking for any suggestions for relatively calm waters (lakes), and their access points, within less than an hour from the city. We are heading out to Collin's Lake this wknd, and are aware also of Frontenac Provincial Park. Any hidden gems known as great spots by the locals?

Thanks!

Athens, Ontario
Level Contributor
555 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good canoe spots close to Kingston?

Hello dndlife,

Welcome to the area. I saw this post yesterday, but didn't respond because I don't canoe myself. Since no one has responded, I thought I would.

- The Rideay Canal system runs between Kingston and Ottawa and the whole waterway is great for calm water and beautiful scenery. There will be more waves from motor boats than weather.

- For seclusion, I would check out Mill Pond Conservation Area just northeast of Portland. This spot has 6km of hiking trails, a picnic shelter, a place to park and put your canoe in the water. It is off the beaten path and not very popular, but looks like a nice place to canoe away from other people.

- For beauty, but not as secluded, check out Charleston Lake Provincial Parks. There are places around the shore of the park where motor boats are not allowed.

This region is very nice in the summer time. I'm sure you will enjoy yourself where ever you go.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good canoe spots close to Kingston?

Thanks for this! We are going to try to find a spot to put the canoe in at Loughborough Lake today. Your suggestions are readily noted.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good canoe spots close to Kingston?

Hi Dndlife,

Welcome to the KINGSTON TRAVEL FORUM.

I too have just come across your Question… as I was out enjoying a bit of the long weekend myself on the water… spent a day on the Rideau.

So like IRISHHONEYMOONERS I would advise that it might indeed be a good place for a beginner such as yourself… more secluded than trying somewheres say on the St Lawrence.

And there are certainly spots on the Rideau that are quite popular with kayakers… saw several of them around and above Chaffeys Locks on the smaller lakes in the system.

Another good option would indeed be the Provincial Parks in the area… Frontenac, Charleston, Sharbot, Silver & Murphy’s Point… I realize that you said you have your own canoe, but know that many of them also do rentals… so they’d be dealing with a lot of newbies, and could certainly give you some great tips on where to safely start.

For example, Sharbot Lake Provincial Park although called Sharbot is primarily fronting onto very small Black Lake… and it is an ideal spot for one to get their sea legs. And unlike bigger Sharbot next door, not too much to worry about in the way of waves or weather conditions (hard wind).

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
3,988 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Good canoe spots close to Kingston?

Hi UNLIMITEDSPACE,

You say you are aware of Frontenac PP - if I were you I would definitely check it out with the canoe. Although I've actually never paddled there, it was my favourite spot to go hiking while I lived in Kingston, and I could tell it has a very good network of lakes and portages - as well as rugged scenery (especially on the east side) and abundant wildlife (especially on the west and north sides). You could go there for a day or for a weekend backcountry trip, and it's about 40 to 60 minutes from kingston depending on the access point.

5. Re: Good canoe spots close to Kingston?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, February 01, 2011