We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kingston (ON) to Syracuse (NY) bus?

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Kingston (ON) to Syracuse (NY) bus?

Hello everybody,

I hope you can help me. I'm trying to organize a trip in early-mid September. My plan so far is:

- Spend some days in NY City (staying at a friend's place)

- Fly to Buffalo to visit Niagara Falls (already bought ticket)

- Bus from Toronto to Kingston and 1000 Islands area (haven't seen any bus direct from Niagar Falls, is there any?)

- Then I need to go back to NY City. I've seen there is an airport in Kingston, but flights are to Toronto only. I wouldn't like to travel back to Toronto or Buffalo to catch my flight to NY City. Therefore, I was thinking that I could fly Syracuse-NY City. Is there any bus from Kingston (or nearby place) to Syracuse???

Thank you so much in advance!

Carolina

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
82,683 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kingston (ON) to Syracuse (NY) bus?

Hi Carolina;

There is no direct bus or train service from Niagara Falls to Kingston. You would need to board a bus or train to Toronto and then transfer to another bus or train to Kingston.

There is no bus service from Kingston, or surrounding area, to the US without going through Toronto or Montreal. Kingston is about mid-way between the two cities.

You may be able to take a water taxi from Kingston to the US. Perhaps one of the other regulars on this forum can assist you with that information.

Best Regards

Athens, Ontario
Level Contributor
555 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kingston (ON) to Syracuse (NY) bus?

Hello,

I'm afraid I don't have great news either. The only route I know of that doesn't go through Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, or Buffalo is one that leaves Brockville, ON at 11:15 pm and arrives in Syracuse at 2:15am through Greyhound. But then you would have to find your way to Brockville that day. Maybe you could bus or train to Brockville on day of departure, walk along its waterfront. Have some dinner and drinks in a pub downtown before taking a taxi to the bus stop. But this would give you a 4 hour layover in Syracuse in the middle of the night before a flight to NYC.

How much time are you planning on spending in the area? This seems like a lot to do for an area that really is best seen with a car. Have you thought about renting a car in Toronto or Kingston? You could rent the car in Toronto and drive around Kingston and Gananoque area. Then drive to the Ottawa airport to drop off the car and catch a flight to NYC (about $200 I think).

Hope I helped.

Good luck with your planning.

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kingston (ON) to Syracuse (NY) bus?

Many thanks to you both. It doesn't look easy indeed!

I know, the schedule looks pretty tight, It's just that I've read everywhere that the Kingston / Gananoque / Thousand Islands area is beautiful and, as I am going to Niagara Falls anyway, I thought it would be good to pay a short visit to the area (even if I know it deserves well more than 1.5 days!). I've never been either to the USA or to Canada.

I was trying to avoid flying to NY City from either Toronto or Montreal or Ottawa, as flights are US$200+. From Syracuse or Buffalo is much cheaper (US$90 maximum).

I am interested in this "water taxi" option -could anyone give me some info?

Thanks again for your replies!

Carolina

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
82,683 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kingston (ON) to Syracuse (NY) bus?

You're Welcome, Carolina !

Durham, United...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Kingston (ON) to Syracuse (NY) bus?

Hi,

I am also planning to make this journey.

I am from the UK and am attending Queens University, Kingston for a conference. I then plan to visit my girlfriend who lives in Syracuse.

What are the chances of being able to hire a car in Kingston and then drive across the US border? I assume they are slim.

Other than that is my only option to train/bus to Toronto and then onwards?

Thanks,

Ben

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
82,683 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kingston (ON) to Syracuse (NY) bus?

Hi Ben;

There are some car rental companies that will not permit their cars out of the province or out of the country, or charge a premium if they do. Most of the larger rental companies will allow cross border travel.

Ensure that the car rental company notes on the rental agreement that they authorize you to take the car into the US. You may be asked by Customs when entering the US, or when re-entering Canada, for this documentation.

Some companies offer unlimited mileage, but only within Canada. The rental company will use the onboard GPS to track your usage. The extra per mile charges can add up quickly, so be sure to ask in advance.

Best Regards

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kingston (ON) to Syracuse (NY) bus?

Hi BenW-UK,

Welcome to the KINGSTON TRAVEL FORUM.

And as I see you are a brand NEW member of TripAdvisor… a BIG Welcome Aboard as well !!

RESCUE TEAM has certainly covered the basics… I’d just add…

Of course as a Citizen of the UK, you’ll have to upon entering the USA, be required to obtain a I-94W Visa Waiver as an addition to your Passport. To obtain the waiver, you will be photographed, fingerprinted, and pay a fee of $ 6 US.

The I-94W Visa Waiver will be attached to your Passport, and is good for 90 Days (unlimited crossings) BUT must be surrendered when you leave the United States for the last time during that timeframe.

The process of obtaining the I-94W waiver takes on average about half an hour.

Although the Wolfe Island – Cape Vincent crossing is closer to Kingston, this is probably best done at the 1000 Islands Bridge Crossing (Interstate 81) as it is my experience that the smaller US Crossings aren’t always as smooth running as the bigger ones when it comes to Paperwork, Unusual Circumstances, etc.

The timing of the trip (Wolfe Island vs 1000 Islands) to Syracuse will be about the same… as most of the trip is via Expressway / Interstate… plus you’ll save yourself some cash (Horne Ferry crossing is expensive compared to the Bridge), and of course although the ferry route is more scenic, the ferries do have a schedule that you have to aim for… sucks to be arriving as one pulls away !!

A slightly longer, but more scenic option, would be to take the 1000 Island Parkway from Gananoque to the 1000 Islands Bridge... (although my favourite part of the Parkway is definitely the stretch from the Bridge to Brockville).

If you do have the time and inclination to do the Wolfe Island crossing, I’d certainly save it for the return trip back to Kingston… when your paperwork issues will be smaller coming into Canada (as a citizen of the UK all you will need is your Passport).

Wolfe Island – Ferry(s) Schedules = www.wolfeisland.com/ferry.php

When it comes to the car rental…

I do take it you’ll be returning to Canada with the car… otherwise there will be Drop Fees to consider on one-way-rentals… and they increase in incremental price every time one leaves the car further away from where they picked it up (by Location – City – Province – and lastly Internationally). The rates are extremely painful if taking a car over to the US and leaving it there… as the car must be returned to the point of origin even if that means being towed !!

And lastly as your TA PROFILE doesn’t give a hint as to your age… I’m going to play it safe and say that if you are UNDER the age of 25 (21 to 25) then you might find this recent topic on waiving the fees on Underage Drivers useful… *Hertz Limited Time Offer for Drivers UNDER 25 Years Old* = tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g154979-i54-k396128…

Hope this is helpful,

Enjoy your visit to Kingston & Syracuse,

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

PS… TA TIP – It always best to post a NEW topic for a NEW Question… tagging on to someone else’s topic is considered bad netiquette here in the TA FORUMS (as the answers get muddled, and the Original Poster (OP) gets email from TA telling them to check “their” topic). You can create a NEW TOPIC by clicking on the Orange button marked ADD A NEW TOPIC that is found at the top of any TA FORUM List of Topics… of course referencing another post (like this one on Bus Travel between Kingston & Syracuse) in your own Question is a great idea, as it tells us Local Advisors and Destination Experts that you’ve already done some reading up on the issue.

Edited: 5:33 pm, October 05, 2010
8. Re: Kingston (ON) to Syracuse (NY) bus?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, April 04, 2011