We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Kingston vibe: hip?

Inland New York
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
The Kingston vibe: hip?

If you were a teen considering attending Queen's, would you find Kingston to be hip, "college town"-y, trendy? Is the city small enough that you can play it by ear or are there some destinations that would color the city favorably to a potential resident?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Kingston vibe: hip?

Hi Laffter,

Welcome to the KINGSTON TRAVEL FORUM.

Just so you are aware... your Question "could be" deemed a Relocation Question vs a Travel Question... so it might be deemed OFF TOPIC by "the Owls" (TA Moderators) as Relocation Questions are not allowed... so if your Question gets CLOSED / REMOVED / DELETED... you might want to clearly rephrase it as a "visiting" Question.

In the meantime...

Q = << The Kingston vibe: Hip? >>

A = You bet ya... Tragically Hip !

The Band calls Kingston Home!

Sorry, couldn't resist... it was too easy :-) *smile*

Considering that Kingston is home to two of Canada's most prestigeous Universities - Queens & the Canadian Royal Military College... it is a pretty "hip" town... and other than CFB Kingston, pretty much the town's primary focus September thru April (Tourism would be the main focus May thru September).

I'd say the city is one of my favourites... a good mix of people and ages... and quality services (the University - KRock Centre - Sports Facilities - Hospital etc).

It is small enough to be friendly and not imposing, but large enough to have some of the perks of a small city (pop 117 K)... and of course being half-way between Montreal and Toronto (Canada's Two Largest Cities) is a BIG BONUS... 3 Hours to each by Bus or Train. And also just 2 Hours to Ottawa - Canada's Capital City... and just across the River from the USA.... and oh ya those 1000 Islands strung along in the middle are pretty neat.

Kingston has a great Bluesfest in the Summer... and a fun Busker Festival as well. Infact a great many students stay on during the summer to work (don't know if that would be an option for you coming from the US) because the city is so busy and tourism provides a lot of jobs.

Anyways, I'd do some GOOGLING to find out more... there probably is some on-line stuff about Living in Kingston, or info put out by the University about what it is like to be a Student and Live here...

Hopefully my colleague KTOWNTRAVLLR (who lives in Kingston) will come by this topic and also give ya some input.

Websites you might find helpful...

Wikipedia - Kingston, ON = en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingston,_Ontario

The Whig-Standard Newspaper (oldest Newspaper in Canada)... sometimes a good place to get a feel for a city is in its print = www.thewhig.com

Kingston Tourism = www.tourism.kingstoncanada.com/en/

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

PS... Not sure how much cache having a Queens Degree has in the USA... BUT here in Canada it is a BIG DEAL... like going to an Ivy League School.

Edited: 7:54 am, May 24, 2010
Inland New York
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: The Kingston vibe: hip?

Just visiting, but it sounds like my dd will love it if she gets in -- not to be too negative or anything! We might schedule our visits around the festivals you mentioned. Thanks so much for the information, and about The Hip as well...who knew I'd be so dead-on with my question :^). Off to wikipedia etc. and to read more trip advisor reports.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Kingston vibe: hip?

I don't really know what to add...I think Wine-4-2 has covered it.

I suppose the vibe you feel in Kingston would depend to a large extent on where you live and who you hang out with. The area around the university ('the ghetto") is of course absolutely full of university students. The base (CFB Kingston) and of course all of the penitentiaries mean that some neighbourhoods have many people that work in these areas - different feel to them of course than the Queens neighbourhood. I guess what I'm saying is that it depends where you live and what you want out of it - if you want young and hip I imagine you'll find it. I think there is a wide variety of restaurants and shopping for a city its size - perhaps due to having such a varied population.

ktown

Inland New York
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: The Kingston vibe: hip?

Thanks. It's clear we will have a good time in Kingston.

5. Re: The Kingston vibe: hip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, November 22, 2010