We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I need a restaurant recommendation

upstate NY
Level Contributor
261 posts
187 reviews
Save Topic
I need a restaurant recommendation

I will be in Kingston for 1 night in mid June. Looking over all the restaurant reviews can be mind numbing so I would like a few opinions. I am not into fine dining and like pubfare food and the atmoshere. I noticed 3-4 near the top of TR list. Can anyone narrow it down.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I need a restaurant recommendation

Hi hfdad,

I spend a fair bit of time visiting Kingston every year (a short 1-1/2 hour jaunt for us). When it comes to Irish Pubs there is ONLY ONE spot to go to.

The Tucan & Kirkpatrick's Pubs... 76 Princess Street very convenient to any of the downtown Hotels.

It is Kingston's first Irish Pub, and coming off of Princess the building is a back-split... the front side is Kirkpatrick's a beautiful traditional Irish Pub (lots of Soccer and Rugby Fans call this place home) and the back-side (pun) is Tucans... you go down about 6 steps and you are in a dark but comfy spot that often features live entertainment.

The food is decent, the pints selection excellent, and prices are good. It is a favourite spot of ours whenever we are in town.

The Toucan & Kirkpatrick's = www.thetoucan.ca/

PS... The KINGSTON RESTAURANT REVIEWS certainly are lacking... too many faceless Facebook one-liners (happens it is after all a University Town) and not enough real info. PLEASE when your trip is said & done write a REVIEW or two for HOTELS, RESTAURANTS or THINGS TO DO, it would mean a lot to helping out other Travellers.

PPS... Would love to read a TripReport when you get back about your Kingston Adventure, come back to the FORUM and tell us all about it.

AND... If you need any more info about this beautiful region, be sure and ask... you might want to make time for a 1000 Island Cruise out of Gananoque (30 Minutes to the East) the area is truly stunning.

Edited: 9:45 pm, March 22, 2010
Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I need a restaurant recommendation

I also like The Kingston Brewing Company. Pretty good selection of beer and great wings.

Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
4,142 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: I need a restaurant recommendation

Having been a grad student in Kingston for a couple of years and frequented quite a few of its bars I have to side with ktowntravllr here. The Toucan is fine as an irish pub but the Kingston Brewing Company is the one pub I really miss eating at. All their food is good and their courtyard patio is quite nice if the weather's good. They even have a smoker, which turns out some pretty good dry ribs and bbq chicken.

As the name suggests, KBC is a brewpub, so the beer they serve is the beer they make and is unique to the place. They also have an impressive scotch list if you're into that.

Our community is here to help!Ask questions, get advice and more from travelers like you.
Join TripAdvisor
Kingston Ontario
Level Contributor
63 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I need a restaurant recommendation

Kingston Brew pub, good food,selection of in house beers , and their courtyard patio is nice.

belleville ontario
Level Contributor
224 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I need a restaurant recommendation

the best fish and chips is at the pilot house downtown bar none.the loyal oarsman in the township is also good witha very pub atmosphere..

Level Contributor
125 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I need a restaurant recommendation

My favorite restaurants in Kingston for really great food are Chein Noir *make a reservation it's tiny* Chein Noir is casual french down to earth atmosphere and just wonderful food...it can be a tiny bit pricey but, I have always had a well worth it meal there... and Wooden Heads Pizza is great!. If you like Vietnamese then Saigon Delights is good and not expensive at all.

Pubs mentioned above are fun and the food is "okay" I would classify Brew Pub as a bit greasy and not as good as it used to be but, the beers are wonderful there! Tir Nan Og is fun..and the food is homey...fairly good selection of beers there too.

One good thing about Kingston is that there has always been a plethora of dining choices here. My most "go to" favorites are still Chein Noir and Wooden Heads though.

Best burgers in town right now?? Fanatics sports restaurant. And Yes Pilot House is hands down the best fish and chips.

Edited: 5:21 pm, April 16, 2010
7. Re: I need a restaurant recommendation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, October 14, 2010