We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fisrt Wedding Anniversayr

Which Kingston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Jackson
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Fisrt Wedding Anniversayr

My husband is being deployed in May. Our first anniversary is April.

He is stationed at Fort Drum,NY. I was just wondering what is there to do in Kingston, Canada or if you have any other suggestions.

Thank You,.

Dana

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fisrt Wedding Anniversayr

Hi Spicezena,

Welcome to the KINGSTON TRAVEL FORUM.

Congratulations on your upcoming Anniversary!

Before we give you some ideas... there is a big difference between the weather and what touristy things are open between April and May. Could you be more precise as to the timeframe you are looking at... it would be helpful.

Also, maybe a bit about yourselves... what it is you like to do... what kind of food you enjoy, travel style (budget) and how long you have for this visit. I am also guessing that if your Hubby is stationed in Fort Drum that you might not be New Yorkers orginally... so how much of Upstate NY have you seen?

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Ontario
Level Contributor
125 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fisrt Wedding Anniversayr

First of all as someone with dual citizenship let me say I appreciate the sacrifice your family is making. This indeed is a very special anniversary for you. Kingston often has visitors from Fort Drum and we enjoy having them here!

I now live in Kingston so here are my suggestions. If you are in Fort Drum then you already know it's still chilly here in the evenings so dress accordingly.

For dinner out I would highly recommend Chein Noir. It is earthy french food and there is something for everyone. It is also a dress up OR dress down spot so no need to worry. Very cozy and candlelit at night. You cannot have a bad meal here. You will need to make a reservation. There are other great places to eat out but, Chien Noir is consistently good and is close to everything downtown too. For brick oven pizza "Wooden Heads" is wonderful and they have fantastic salads too. After dinner if they are open stroll just down the street from Wooden heads to "White Mountain" for great ice cream.

I think if you come in May that many of the local tours are operating then so you can take the little trolly tour of the city. There's a haunted walk, to some of the older homes which is interesting for the beauty of the buildings as it is for the stories they hold. The downtown area is a plethora of pubs and restaurants so you won't lack for something to do after a dinner out. On the weekends most pubs have bands or live acts and all are within walking distance of each other. Tir Nan Og Irish pub is right on the lake on Ontario Street and is lively with good beers and such.

You can take a dinner cruise on the lake too which is available for booking. I will try to find the link for you. It is glass domed so you dine and cruise the lake with a view of the city and islands.

There's lots and lots of little interesting shops independently owned to peek into in the downtown area too. Downtown Kingston is really a great walking city so a discovery stroll from about the middle of Princess Street down to Ontario street is recommended. Tuck into the little stone alleyways! There are patios to be found in every one of those alleys where you can sit in gardens and have a snack or drink. Chez Piggy is a good restaurant with a great patio on one of those alleyways on lower princess street. ...turn at the alley right next to "The Toucan" pub...continue past the Toucan's patio and just opposite that is the Piggy patio...lovely place to sit.

The market is open on the weekends with fresh goods, maple syrups, honey and the like...

For breakfasts I recommend the fresh bakery Pan Chancho on Princess street. They make their own breads and rolls you can pick up and take back to your room. The chocolate croissants are to die for!! Other breakfast spots which are good are "Coras" a little further out.....or Terra which is in the Radisson hotel on the waterfront...theirs is a buffet.

Check "Kingston This Week" online to see which acts are playing around town that week. The Grand Theater has plays and acts from around the world. There are three movie theaters on Princess Street walking distance to everything and one omniplex out in the burbs plus a few others. My favorite is the independent movie theater the "Mayfair" which shows movies from film festivals.

You can go and visit Fort Henry as another day outting and it's very interesting!! The best view of the city is from inside Fort Henry up the hill..just gorgeous in the fall but, will be pretty any time of the year especially towards the evening as the lights of the city shine over the lake.

For a nice picnic spot or a beautiful walk get a cab a short distance down King Street to the water front park with the big gazebo and across from some of the stately mansions that line King St. West.

Another great spot to stroll is in and around the homes in Sydenham Ward just near the downtown. There are parks and so many beautiful old homes to see there and it's close to Queen's campus which is also quite pretty...Queen's University often has events going on ranging from tours of art works to film festival offerings and live performances.

It's all a matter of what you most like to do and if you could tell me more specifically I could direct you a little better.

Edited: 9:18 pm, April 16, 2010
3. Re: Fisrt Wedding Anniversayr

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, October 14, 2010