We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kingston for 2 nights in August 2009

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
283 reviews
Save Topic
Kingston for 2 nights in August 2009

Hi,

Me and my boyfriend have finally got our trip to Canada planned for next August 09. Just wanted some advice on what to see really in each place. I have been consulting lots of travel guides and internet sites but I was wondering what other people knew from actual experience!

We will be spending 2 nights in Kingston as part of our trip. So I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of what to see and do and any other things like good places to eat and drink. Any help at all with this would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
74,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kingston for 2 nights in August 2009

Hi 1066girl;

In the town of Kingston, you won't want to miss Fort Henry, which was recently designated a World Heritage Site by the United Nations Education, Scientific and Cultural Organization. (UNESCO)

The original Fort Henry was built during the War of 1812, between Canada and the United States.

http://www.forthenry.com/

Just 18 miles east of Kingston is Gananoque (pronounced GAN-AN-OCK-WAY), the "Gateway to the Thousand Islands". You can take a 1 hr. 3 hr. or 5 hr. boat tour of the 1000 Islands.

www.ganboatline.com/

The 5 hour tour stops at Boldt Castle, which was built in 1900 by the former owner of the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York City. If you wish to walk about the island and tour through the castle, you will need to clear U.S. Customs, as the island is in American waters. Be sure that you bring your identification as required.

www.boldtcastle.com/

IMHO, the boat tours from Gananoque are much better than the tours from Kingston as go farther into the islands.

For more info on the 1000 Islands;

www.1000islandsgananoque.com

www.visit1000islands.com/

www.1000islandsinfo.com/

Best Regards

ontario
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kingston for 2 nights in August 2009

It really depends on what you like to do and eat. Kingston has alot to offer! Can you let me know what you and your boyfriend like? Dining preference and budget, history, shopping, shows, nightlife, art....Let me know and I would be glad to help out!

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kingston for 2 nights in August 2009

There's the trolley that does about a 45 minute tour of Kingston. You catch it from in front of the visitors information centre downtown (near the old train engine).

There are quite a few museums etc depending on your interests. A lot of people seem quite interested in the penitentiary museum, and a bonus is that it is free to get in.

Depending on your dates of travel, there are often things such as festivals etc going on. If you can narrow down the dates a bit that might help. Also, I agree with the previous poster that more info on what your preferences and budget are would help. There are lots of great very inexpensive places to eat - they look a bit divey but the food is generally good. There are also quite a few very expensive places, and lots in between. You certainly shouldn't have a problem finding just about anything you'd like.

Also will make a difference whether you will have a vehicle or not. Downtown Kingston is absolutely doable (in fact preferential) without a car, but Kingston sprawls quite a bit and doesn't generally have a great transit system.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kingston for 2 nights in August 2009

Hi,

Thank you all so much for your replies and sorry I haven't been back to post more info.

We will be in Kingston for 2 nights for 19th/20th August and we are staying in a hotel down on Kingston waterfront.

We are both really into museums and visiting historical sites. We really love walking and cycling around and enjoying the outdoors. We are not big drinkers but we like quite friendly bars when we do go out and reasonably priced good food.

I wasn't sure at first about visiting Kingston but it does sound like a really interesting place.

Thanks!

jasminefowers
Level Contributor
27 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kingston for 2 nights in August 2009

Hello! Good for you for visiting Kingston, it is a wonderful little city and right between Toronto and Montreal!

As far as restaurants go, there are lots of great ones! If I had one night out for a nice dinner in Kingston, I would eat at either le Chien Noir (romantic and upscale bistro-y) or Woodenheads (famous for their delicious wooden-oven pizza, and a Kingston land mark in an of itself!). Chez Piggy is also a great place and has been in Kingston forever! All 3 have fabulous outdoor dining.

If you are there on a Tuesday or Thursday, you can stroll up to the Market Square and catch the farmers market, where you can buy fresh food and crafts from locals. There is also a "Haunted Walk" of Kingston you can do, ask at your hotel. It's a nice little walking tour of the city.

I'm not much of a museum person myself, but definitely agree that the penetiantary musem and Forth St Henry are worth checking out.

There is also a nice little ferry ride you can do to see the 1000 Islands, this is a great way to spend part of your afternoon! I think they offer 1 hour or 3 hour cruises!

Have fun! I live in Kingston, so if you have any other questions feel free to message me!

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kingston for 2 nights in August 2009

Thanks everyone for your posts in particular jasmineflowers, I might be asking you for more advice nearer the time! So I gather it is ok to get around Kingston without a car? We plan to do this trip by VIA Rail and do the trip on a fairly reasonable budge as the trip is costing us a lot just by itself!

jasminefowers
Level Contributor
27 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kingston for 2 nights in August 2009

Hi! Feel free to pm me with any questions! Taking the train in is a good idea, you wll need to cab from the station to downtown (probably around $20) but after that you should be OK on foot!

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kingston for 2 nights in August 2009

If you are on a really tight budget, there are buses that you can get from the train station, but I'm not sure about the route to downtown. Here's a link to the website where you can find out if you like cityofkingston.ca/residents/…index.asp

The penitentiary museum is certainly walkable from downtown, as long as you don't have any mobility issues. Otherwise, you could use the buses too. As I said, downtown is VERY doable without a car, but the rest of the city is quite spread out.

I also encourage you to use the forum instead of private messages - that way others can learn what you do - chances are if you have a question, someone else will have a similar question sometime in the future. Here's a link to the London forum that argues the pro's and con's of pm'ing in a forum environment tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k25303…

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
74,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kingston for 2 nights in August 2009

Also, other people with the same question will be able to search the forum in future and find the answer.

Best Regards

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kingston for 2 nights in August 2009

Kingston is great in August! You might want to look into the Jazz festival (which I think might be in August).

You could literally eat your way through Kingston; there are so many good and reasonably priced restaurants in the city.

Wooden Heads is quite good but the service staff can be very rude! (Fair warning)

Chez Piggy is a Kingston institution and not to be missed. The back patio is nice.

Check out White Mountain for ice cream (it's close to the water and you'll probably see a line heading out the door...the line moves fast)

Darbar, Curry Village and Curry Original are all good for Indian

Phnom Penh is a cheap little Cambodian place by the water.

Wok In is also quite cheap and tasty

Good pubs: Kingston Brew Pub, Tier na Nog, Toucan

Windmills does a good brunch though their staff are sometimes clueless

Kingston is a great place to walk around. You definitely don't need a car. I also recommend the haunted tour, the boat trip (with the stop at Bolt Castle - bring a passport so you can get off at the castle). Try to check out the outdoor market.

Have fun.