We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Kingstown worth including in our Itiniery

Which Kingston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ireland
Level Contributor
248 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Is Kingstown worth including in our Itiniery

Hi All,

Is it worth taking in this area as part of a forthcoming holiday. Our agenda has an option to stay at the Holiday Inn Lakefront Hotel but noticed that reviews not great for this hotel , as we have the option of staying longer in Montreal and not visiting this area not sure what to decide-Thanks for advising anyone.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Kingstown worth including in our Itiniery

Hi IrishLadyIRL,

My first question would be... how long are you in Montreal? You will need at least 2 full days to get a feel for the city of Montreal (more if you can swing it).

Kingston is a great town / mini city. It has a lot of significant Geography & History. It is located at the end of Lake Ontario where it flows into the St. Lawrence River. The area immediately east of it is known as the 1000 Islands... there are literally a 1000 islands in the St Lawrence River between Kingston and Cornwall. The islands have been a playground of the rich and famous for over 100 years. (For more info on that region see GANANOQUE, ONTARIO - Gananoque is about 25 minutes east of Kingston).

Kingston itself, was once the capital of Upper Canada, and was proposed as the capital of Canada after Confederation... however due to it's proximity to the USA (right across the river end of the lake) it was decided by Queen Victoria that Ottawa should be the capital. Ottawa and Kingston, however needed to maintain close ties, so a canal was built between the two cities (the Rideau Canal).

In Kingston you will find historic buildings dating back to period of time when it was the capital of Upper Canada. Fort Henry is perched on a hilltop above the city, this fort defended Kingston during the War of 1812 (the war fought against the USA by the British/Cdns). Fort Henry has a great tour and military tatoo. Kingston is a beautiful city to walk around and enjoy the waterfront. You can take a boatcruise or visit Wolfe Island.

I would say that if you can fit it in you should consider spending a couple of days in the region... 2 perferably. One in Kingston and one in the 1000 Islands area (Gananoque/Rockport/Morrisburg). You won't be disappointed!

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

PS... As for hotel, I haven't stayed at the Holiday Inn, but I have stayed at the Four Points Sheraton and the Radisson, both were quite nice.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,076 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Kingstown worth including in our Itiniery

Hi IrishLadyIrl;

IMHO, this is an area of Canada that you don’t want to miss. Respectfully, Montreal is a city much like many others in Canada, but the 1000 Island are unique.

In the town of Kingston, you won't want to miss Fort Henry, which was recently designated a World Heritage Site by the United Nations Education, Scientific and Cultural Organization. (UNESCO)

The original Fort Henry was built during the War of 1812, between Canada and the United States.

http://www.forthenry.com/

Just 18 miles east of Kingston is Gananoque (pronounced GAN-AN-OCK-WAY), the "Gateway to the Thousand Islands". You can take a 1 hr. 3 hr. or 5 hr. boat tour of the 1000 Islands.

www.ganboatline.com/

The 5 hour tour stops at Boldt Castle, which was built in 1900 by the former owner of the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York City. If you wish to walk about the island and tour through the castle, you will need to clear U.S. Customs, as the island is in American waters. Be sure that you bring your identification as required.

www.boldtcastle.com/

I strongly recommend the Islandview Inn Bed & Breakfast in Gananoque, which is located only 1 block from where the tour boats dock, and the St Lawrence River.

www.islandviewinnbb.com/

For more info on the 1000 Islands;

www.1000islandsgananoque.com

www.visit1000islands.com/

www.1000islandsinfo.com/

Best Regards

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
197 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Kingstown worth including in our Itiniery

I've always loved the Kingston and 1000 Islands area. Not sure how much time you've planned for Montreal and what your interests are, but if you enjoy history and pretty scenery then you'll enjoy Kingston. It's a really nice little city and worth a couple of days.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Kingstown worth including in our Itiniery

I agree that Kingston is a lovely town with lots of interesting historical places, good food, and a downtown street (princess) with lots of interesting shops. If you do go to Gananoque as several have suggested, check out their summer theatre on the lake. We saw Les Miserables there in July and were very impressed with the quality of the production, acting, and singing. The boat tour is also interesting.

But don't believe the earlier post that Montreal is like any big city - the bilingual nature makes it quite unique and there is plenty to do and see.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Kingstown worth including in our Itiniery

I agree with what most others have said - definitely spend at least 2 days in Montreal - the old part of the city is particularly nice. But if possible, try for at least one overnight in Kingston. And I would suggest staying in one of the B&Bs close to downtown. They are lovely and walking distance between the Uni and downtown. I stayed in the Secret Garden Inn (http://www.thesecretgardeninn.com/) about a year ago and it was quite nice.

Ontario
Level Contributor
120 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Kingstown worth including in our Itiniery

Hi

Wecome to kingston, its a great city that I would recommend you stop in for a visit. The Holiday Inn is a 3star, its clean and in a great loaction. Its starting to show its age, but I have no conerns with the rooms. Now the Secret Garden Inn, this is a beautiful place, rooms are very very nice - you will enjoy this place and its in the downtwon core.

Hereis the city link, which has everything from the vistor section, resturants, hotels and bus routes.

http://www.cityofkingston.ca/index.asp

Have a great trip to Canada.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,076 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Kingstown worth including in our Itiniery

The OP was travelling in September 08

Old post - no need to reply

8. Re: Is Kingstown worth including in our Itiniery

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, August 18, 2009