We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Royal Botanical Garden in Burlington/Hamilton

Which Hamilton hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
buffalo,ny
Level Contributor
54 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Royal Botanical Garden in Burlington/Hamilton

My sister and I (from the Buffalo NY area) like to do a day trip together in the summer. We were going to go to Orangeville for the train ride but the 3-hr distance made us change our mind.

Question: Is the RBG worth going to see in late August? It gets mixed reviews, and I find its web site rather unhelpful (much like what reviewers are saying about its signage). OTOH, I heard great things about it from people in Toronto.

toronto
Level Contributor
289 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Royal Botanical Garden in Burlington/Hamilton

Late August is of course not a peak bloom period, e.g. the famous Lilac and Iris Gardens are spring attractions, the Roses are well past peak although some blooms come and go all summer. The Rock Garden area should still be nice (keeping in mind of course that we are having an incredibly hot, dry summer) and the indoor Mediterranean Garden is beautiful all year.

Other ideas - maybe charming Stratford which in addition to famous live theatre has a great small downtown full of interesting shops and good restaurants, and a pathway with trees and gardens along the river. Although that may be almost as far as Orangeville (maybe 2 1/2 hours).

Slightly less distant (about 2 hours) is the city of Kitchener-Waterloo - at the north end of which is the large and very popular St. Jacobs Farmers/Craft Market open Tuesdays/Thursdays/Saturdays in summer and a couple of miles beyond is the actual historic village of St. Jacobs, full of craft shops, country stores, clothing boutiques and Mennonite Heritage.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Royal Botanical Garden in Burlington/Hamilton

Sorry, I've never been in August but I can tell you that Cootes Paradise (part of RBG) is a 1,500 acre wildlife sanctuary half of which is a wetland/marsh which is considered one of the most important bird staging habitats on the great lakes. There are over 18 miles worth of trails. It's one of my favourite parts of the RBG.

(This part is lifted from their website...it deals with August flora and fauna....this was easier to copy and paste)

August on the Trails

The next generation of life fills the trails in August, birds are numerous, new fish abound in the wetlands, and butterflies and dragonflies are on the wing. August wildflowers are highlighted by wetland species such as Lobelia siphilitica (blue lobelia), woodland species such as Helianthus strumosus (woodland sunflower) and Campanula americana (tall bellflower) in the meadows. While strolling, enjoy the newly refurbished observation platforms of Hendrie Valley and the Cootes Paradise north shore trails. This includes 4 observation platforms retrofitted with new interpretive signs, railings and benches providing ideal destinations and views of our most spectacular areas, the South Pasture Swamp, Spencer Creek and Hopkins Special Protection Areas.

Many northern birds have begun their southern migrations, with waterfowl and shorebirds are now appearing around the rivermouth deltas with concentrations at the mouth Grindstone and Spencer Creek. Trails with observation points are accessed through either the Cootes Paradise north shore trails or Hendrie Valley. Herons of all kinds are also appearing to feast on this year’s bountiful supply of young fish – a result of the very high water levels this past spring. Canoe launches can be found at Princess Point and Valley Inn. The Valley Inn launch is currently inaccessible due to reconstruction of the adjacent Spring Garden Road Bridge. More information on these projects are available through the City of Burlington.

The Cootes Paradise Fishway, located near Princess Point operateds on much reduced schedule as spring spawning migrations are now over. However operations now tend to encounter thousands of this years young fish at each session, with the most abundant a herring called the gizzard shad. The Fishway is open to public during the scheduled operation times, and special school tours can be booked through the RBG nature centre during alternate times.

You can experience spring through one of RBG’s many Public Programs for kids or adults, with pocket guides available at the RBG Shop, with great lunch time dining available at the RBG Centre restaurant. If you’re looking for a guided walk try one of our weekly free Sunday Back to Nature walks also listed in our public programs calendar. Walks rotate between four locations, one for each week of the month and are provided by RBG volunteers.

3. Re: Royal Botanical Garden in Burlington/Hamilton

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 am, March 13, 2014