We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hamilton Newcomer

Hamilton
2 posts
Save Topic
Hamilton Newcomer

I am a new resident of Hamilton and i am not very familiar with the city. I would be really grateful if someone would help me with a couple of my questions

1. I am planning to live very close Hess Village. How is the public safety around this area?

2. I have heard from many people that there are places that the public should avoid in Hamilton. Could you tell me what these places are? Would you suggest going out after 7pm in Hamilton? If not, which places should be avoided.

Thank you for anyone who responds to this post.

Mentioned in this post
Hamilton
Hamilton
Ontario, Canada
Hamilton, ON
Level Contributor
942 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Hamilton Newcomer

Basically, Hamilton is like any other city. It has it's upper class areas, and it's industrialized centres.

Towards the factories/steel area on the waterfront, of course it's not going to be as attractive looking.

Living near Hess village, an area of town with just bars...well what kind of people do you think are going to visit those areas?

I mean, look around. If it looks unsafe, then it probably is. But for the most part, things are ok.

General rule of thumb, on the mountain = the nicest, close to the mountain = good, then the farther towards the steel centre you get the more seedy it can become.

Just look around, if the area looks nice, I am sure you'll be fine.

Mentioned in this post
Hamilton
Hamilton
Ontario, Canada
Hamilton
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hamilton Newcomer

Thanks for your reply djcrazychris. I haven't heard too many good things about the downtown Hamilton and wondered why it was so? I guess it depends on how people view the city. Some people think downtown Toronto is pretty unsafe, but i would beg to differ.

Another question: How is Jackson Square and are they any good malls in Hamilton?

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Hamilton
Hamilton
Ontario, Canada
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Jackson Square
Jackson Square
33 Reviews
Hamilton, Canada
Hamilton, ON
Level Contributor
942 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Hamilton Newcomer

Probably the best mall is Limeridge Mall on Hamilton mountain. It is on major bus routes and is a mini hub for some mountain buses.

Jackson square is ok, but Limeridge has all of the name brand stores you will know.

ps. I read the Toronot paper everday on the way home from work (work in Toronto) and I can tell you I don't think Toronto downtown is too safe.

It all depends.

Mentioned in this post
Hamilton
Hamilton
Ontario, Canada
Jackson Square
Jackson Square
33 Reviews
Hamilton, Canada
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Hamilton
Level Contributor
70 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hamilton Newcomer

I live within walking distance of Hess Village and have never been concerned for my safety. In fact, I consider my neighbourhood to be a wonderful place to raise my kids.

I am not sure if you read my posts to Cat.Woman but I stand by the boundaries I outlined to her. Hamilton is not without crime but, for a major city, I think it is pretty safe.

How many big cities offer great hiking trails right through the city? We have some great festivals, a waterfront that is being revitalized and not looking too badly now, great restaraunts, and lots of opportunity for recreation. City recreation and skating passes are CHEAP so if you like to be active, get one.

Mentioned in this post
Hamilton
Hamilton
Ontario, Canada
Ontario
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hamilton Newcomer

I have lived in Hamilton all of my life - it is very safe. I would not be concerned about living in that area.

P.S. - I am almost 50 years old - If there are places that are unsafe for people to be in after 7p.m. I don't know about them. Someone please enlighten me - I may be risking my life on a daily basis and don't even know it - :-)

Mentioned in this post
Hamilton
Hamilton
Ontario, Canada
Ontario
Level Contributor
228 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hamilton Newcomer

Hamilton? Well It's not the best place to live. It's sort of the Buffalo or bronx area of southern Ontario. Very dirt, and filled with adult stores, strip clubs, bars, drugs the whole bit. There are some nice area's I guess, but I dunno.

Mentioned in this post
Hamilton
Hamilton
Ontario, Canada
Buffalo
Buffalo
New York
Ancaster, Canada
Level Contributor
440 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hamilton Newcomer

You're right Gecko -- you don't know.

Hamilton
Level Contributor
70 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hamilton Newcomer

gecko,

Maybe you are thinking of some other Hamilton because Hamilton ON is nothing like you described. There are a few rough areas of town but that in like any major city. Yeah, if you come in via Burlington Street, it might look dirty because you pass through a very industrialized area but their has to be industry to survive. Take a second look and venture a little farther south into the city this time.

Mentioned in this post
Hamilton
Hamilton
Ontario, Canada
Alex,Egypt
Level Contributor
253 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hamilton Newcomer

I've lived there for a couple of months, i ahd nothing to do, so basically i was all over the streets, the building where i lvied was near the east mall(if i remember), my brother used to work in centre mall (barton street) and i was on bus trying to discovering new and lively areas, i also lived in Mississauga for a couple of months, and I beleive hamilton is a mroe interesting place, of course u can find better malls, movie theatres and restaurants anywhere else...

It's a bit old, many buildings that would interest u, a nice down town, i always found a band playin something, the bus stop is a greta place to chat with people, there r some wierd and suspicious places, but it's a city and there is a wide variety of people...Gettin in these places(i'm curious, can't help it) i usually find otu that i should be there from the 1st place, but it passed...There's a different class of people, i didn't find as much youngsters as i found elsewhere...

Mentioned in this post
Mississauga
Mississauga
Ontario, Canada