We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A total let down

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
A total let down

Crystal Beach Motel:

My wife and I stayed at the Crystal Beach Motel and were completely disappointed. Ants infested the wall, mosquitoes in the bathroom and the entire room smelled terrible. After an exhausting day we finally crawled into a bed that had extremely dusty bed covers. I got little to no sleep and we both left at the earliest possible moment.

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

One positive word; the pool looked nice.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,335 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: A total let down

A good idea would be to not allow reviews unless the poster had a minimum number of forum posts. This would eliminate "one-off" reviews. Even just 10 forum posts would do that.

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
8,889 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: A total let down

wrldtvler , that's a good thought. Unfortunately, it would certainly deter legitimate first timers (which I truly believe are the vast majority, we all had a first sometime), from contributing. As usual, it's the one bad apple!!

gxp
Niagara
Level Contributor
2,300 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: A total let down

I was really just commenting on some of the shortcomings of an open type forum such as TA. I know that there is no simple solution. Thw above comments are good though.

Wine, I wasn't looking for a minimum number of reviews for someone. But if they are active at all, they would have a few posts, even if only the forum.

I guess when I look at reviews, I tend to discount the ones from someone that only comes on TA once to do a review and that's the last we see them. Always a little suspicious, wether the review is negative or positive.

TA has changed the profile information so we don't know when the poster last logged in/visited.

Was just commenting on the way someone can influence the reviews as seems obvious for this small motel. Someone stayed there 3 years ago and now posts a review which is out of date anyway.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: A total let down

TO GXP,

Good points. When it comes to minimum numbers... or length of time both options that TA has looked at thru discussions on the HUMTAB FORUM (and a similar suggestion to the one made by WRLDTVLER) don't seem to fly, because TA wants to hook a Newcomer as soon as they discover the site... having a long waiting period (beyond the normal time that TA takes to post a REVIEW) would just cause folks to quit before they even got started.

Personally, I discount both the Low and High End when I read REVIEWS... that and like I said for any I am really interested in, I look at their PROFILE (a real pain to toggle back and forth... which is why I would TA to update the "hover" feature to show FORUM counts and whether the Poster is a DE).

Anyways, as already stated by FALLSDUDE this post (and property in Question) has numbers that are out of wack... Thinking though that the most recent Traveller LILBITEB (October 2, 2009 - Post # 6) might have known the score ahead of time, if they had checked the TA REVIEWS and perhaps asked a Question on the FORUM... As they say at TA "Know BEFORE You Go".

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

15. Re: A total let down

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 14, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Crystal Beach
More Crystal Beach Topics