We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canada in October, recommendations please.

england
Level Contributor
6 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Canada in October, recommendations please.

Hi,

I will be honeymooning in Canada next year from 6th Oct. The plan is to visit a city then travel onto Yukon where we have a scheduled trip planned (hopefully to see the Northern Lights). We are having difficulty choosing a city to visit prior to Yukon, as worried with it being Oct, things will be slowing down and the usual attractions may not be available. Distance is not really an issue as we will be flying from where we choose onto Yukon. As it stands we were looking at Vancouver or Toronto. Can anyone recommend anywhere or give me anymore info as to what to expect in Oct in Vancouver or Toronto?

I have checked online but most info is quite generic and I seem to be getting mixed info in terms of what to do and when. Any help is appreciated.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,342 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canada in October, recommendations please.

Hi melandwill ~

Vancouver in October will see changeable weather. If the sun is out, the colours of the changing leaves will be beautiful and the temps might be quite warm. If it's raining, it will be pretty miserable. There is no way of saying what the weather will be until October. There won't be any snow in Vancouver in October. Tourist season will have wound down, which means pretty good rates at the hotels. There is enough to see and do in Vancouver to make a visit worthwhile. It's just the weather.

How many nights/weeks are you looking at for the city part, and in total?

Here are some weather data for October 2013 where you can see the temps and the rainfall in mm. You can change the year back to previous years to compare. You will see that in 2012, October had about 5 times more rain than in 2013!!

http://climate.weather.gc.ca/climateData/dailydata_e.html?timeframe=2&Prov=BC&StationID=888&dlyRange=1925-11-01|2013-12-13&Year=2013&Month=10&Day=01

This version will be live for you to click on: http://tinyurl.com/qjhwzv5

Edited: 5:21 am, December 15, 2013
england
Level Contributor
6 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canada in October, recommendations please.

Thank you for your reply, most helpful! We would be looking to spend 3 or 4 nights. We know that with our honeymoon being later in the year we may not get the best weather but are more worried about things to do and see. My other half has read that a lot of the 'touristy' things come to an end right around the time we are going :( Ideally, I would be happy going somewhere that has nice restaurants and maybe some sight seeing spots during the day but it's the worry of things not being open that is hindering our decision.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,342 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canada in October, recommendations please.

For 3-4 nights there will be plenty to keep you occupied. "restaurants" is Vancouver's middle name. You will trip over them, there are so many. Come over to the Vancouver Forum and do a search (the field just above the list of topics) for "restaurants" or simply browse through the titles on the first 4-5 pages of topics. Good earing spots has been asked before and there are any number of threads about them.

The green bar up top has Things to Do to browse through. The Top Questions to the right of the page has plenty of helpful info.

tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g154943-i81-Vancouv…

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
17,138 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canada in October, recommendations please.

When in October, and what do you mean by "touristy" things? In large cities like Toronto and Vancouver, tourist attractions do not to wind down ... museums, galleries, events, etc. run year round. Cities never "close". On the other hand, attractions that are tied to nature or sporting activities do tend to have certain seasons - whale watching, skiing, hiking, water sports, etc.

Toronto and Vancouver are completely different cities - each with its own attractions - both natural and built.Vancouver tends to be more about the natural - mountains, seas, etc. Toronto is more about the city itself - museums, history, nightlife, festivals, etc. You should take the time to read about each, by looking at their individual forums and info pages here on TA.

In Toronto, and Ontario, October can be a spectacular time - leaves changing, sunny, crisp weather. No snow here either at that time of year. The bright colours of fall foliage which you've likely seen in photographs tend to be more vibrant in this part of the country as compared to the west coast, due to the types of trees and the change of weather.

Note that Thanksgiving takes place the second weekend of October - that is the traditional end of the summer "tourist" season in most parts of the country. However for a city experience, it doesn't really matter when you travel - just know that weather may play a part in whatever plans you make.

The Yukon is closer time and distance wise to the west coast. However - it isn't really close to anything in the southern part of the country - so you will have a long trek no matter which destination you choose.

You've posted in the Ontario forum.... a long way from British Columbia and Vancouver. For better information and research you need to look, as noted above, at the more particular forums:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g155019-i55-Toronto…

tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g154943-i81-Vancouv…

Look through the Top Questions, and the green tabbed Things to Do articles, and if you have more specific queries, post them in the individual forums.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canada in October, recommendations please.

I think you have to look at the attractions of each city and see what appeals most to you.....both cities are packed with awesome food, more seafood on the west coast........Are you doing the outdoors thing in the Yukon? You may want more of the urban feel of Toronto.....Or may want the outdoors feeling right through in Vancouver......Niagara Falls is also a possible day trip from Toronto, ideal in a lot of ways for honeymooners....

england
Level Contributor
6 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Canada in October, recommendations please.

Thanks all, lots of great info here, much appreciated.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,342 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Canada in October, recommendations please.

lol. >>Good earing spots<< should of course be good eating spots.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Canada in October, recommendations please.

You're welcome!

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
12,535 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Canada in October, recommendations please.

Hi

other places to consider - fly in to Calgary then either visit the Rockies or visit the Okanagan Valley (flight to Kelowna via Westjet or AirCanada) Okanagan Wine Festival is held each October.

Almaguin Highlands...
Level Contributor
176 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Canada in October, recommendations please.

As mentioned above, early October is usually when the fall colours are at their peak in Ontario. If you start your honeymoon in Toronto, consider a day trip north to Muskoka or even staying overnight for a day or two near Algonquin Park. The maples putting on a spectacular display of red, orange and gold and it's a great time to hike, canoe, or just go for a drive along country roads.