We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which passport to present at airlines and immigration (dual)

Toronto, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
Which passport to present at airlines and immigration (dual)

Hello everyone,

I have two passports (dual citizenship) Canadian and a middle eastern country and i live in Canada now. I have a few questions regarding leaving and entering each country (canada and home country). A few information first about both countries, Canada doesn't stamp your passport when leaving, while home country stamps it both when entering and leaving (immigration on arrival and departure). I don't want to present my Canadian passport to any immigration officer in my home country. Now my questions are

1- which passport info do I use when booking my return flight from Canada to my home country (both ways) ?

2- Obviously i will use my home country passport when entering my home country, but which passport do I present the airlines officer in Canada when leaving?

3- Since i will have to show my home country passport when leaving to home country immigration officer (after check in) to get it stamped, Can I use the Canadian passport with airlines check in in my home country coming back to Canada?

4- Do i have to present the same passport in my two flights with airlines? (for example if I use my home country passport info when booking the flight and use it with airlines when leaving canada, can i use my canadian passport when returning flight from my home country?

Please your advice is appreciated , keep in mind that I prefer using my home country passport info when buying my ticket, any suggestions?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which passport to present at airlines and immigration (dual)

I don't feel qualified to answer your question, and I'm not sure if there will be anyone else here who will. I'd suggest you read through travel.gc.ca/travelling/…dual-citizenship and try one of the contact phone numbers at the bottom of that page.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,685 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which passport to present at airlines and immigration (dual)

You might post your question on the Air Travel Forum. Many of those posters do a lot of travelling.

Open this link and ask your question there: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i10702-Air_Trav…

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
767 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which passport to present at airlines and immigration (dual)

Interesting that the other country seems such a mystery...

Toronto, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Which passport to present at airlines and immigration (dual)

In order to answer your questions we would like to know : what is your home country ?

Or does a Canadian passport holder needs a visa to enter your country.

If he/she does and you show at your passport at airline counter in Canada ,they won't let you board because you do not have a visa. To make it simple for you .

1. Either if the names on the passport are the same

2. Your middle eastern pass. ( they want to know if you are allowed to enter the country nothing more )

So if a Canadian does not need a visa you can show them Canadian one .

3. yes

4. Do citizen of your country need a visa to enter Canada ? If they do you have to show your Canadian passport.

Last one you have to show your Canadian passport to Canadian authorities

Port Hope, Canada
Level Contributor
875 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which passport to present at airlines and immigration (dual)

From what I have been told in the past. If you travel out of Canada to another country and dont travel on your Canadian Passport, theoretically the Canadian embassy in your destination country could refuse to assist you if you get into trouble.

Though this could be a thing of the past considering past incidents with people that have Canadian citizenship but live elsewhere in the world but then come running when things go south in the country of residence!

toronto
Level Contributor
290 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which passport to present at airlines and immigration (dual)

I feel similarly to above poster in that I've felt (when I did have 2 passports in past) that I should use the one whose Embassy I would want to help me if any problems came up. I also have a strong suspicion that carrying and alternating various passports from country to country might raise some immigration and security eyebrows, at the very least, these days. This is a question you may want to consult with an immigration lawyer on.

Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which passport to present at airlines and immigration (dual)

In theory you can show your home passport when you check in and on arrival.

On the return show your Canadian passport at check-in (as they only want proof of your right to enter Canada) and your home passport at immigration.

Were you naturalised as a Canadian? If so then I assume you have a Canadian PR card or visa in an old passport. In that case just show that and your home country passport and keep the Canadian one well hidden.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
767 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which passport to present at airlines and immigration (dual)

If you are Canadian Citizen, the PR card is taken away at the citizenship ceremony....

9. Re: Which passport to present at airlines and immigration (dual)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 16, 2014