We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two or Three Days Trip, Ontario in early April

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Two or Three Days Trip, Ontario in early April

We are planning a trip for two or three days out of town (drive from Toronto) in early April. We are Daddy, pregnant Mom, and a 6-year-old son. Because we've visited Niagara falls twice, this time we are considering Algonquin Park or Brice Pennisula or Blue Mountains, or Kinston areas. Since early April is still chilly, do the Ontario experts have any suggestions? Thank you!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two or Three Days Trip, Ontario in early April

In Kingston area, probably the Thousand Islands cruise is easy for a pregnant woman. Is there a lot of things to do there?

Thank you for your kindly reply in advance.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
4,022 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Two or Three Days Trip, Ontario in early April

Algonquin would probably be just starting to thaw out in early April; the lakes there usually melt around the end of April though last spring it was the end of March. So it would probably be neither possible to canoe nor safe to walk on the ice. Hiking trails along Highway 60 would be open, hard to say in advance how slushy or muddy the hiking trails would be or whether cross-country ski trails would still be open. Depending on how fast the spring is progressing, it could be an exciting time for wildlife watching.

The Bruce Peninsula is beautiful year-round, though the boats to Flowerpot Island would not be available in early April and water-based activities in general are probably impossible or unadvisable. Be careful with the youngun on the clifftop trails as I imagine they could be slippery at that time.

Kingston being a city is of course less seasonally affected as a destination -- but what is it you're interested in doing? If you're looking for outdoor activities along similar lines as the Algonquin and Bruce suggestions, Frontenac Provincial Park north of Kingston can be a nice place to hike in April. If you're thinking about a Thousand Islands boat trip I'll let someone else weigh in as I'm not that familiar. (EDIT - your follow-up post about the Thousand Islands was added while I was writing this)

Edited: 11:50 am, February 21, 2013
toronto
Level Contributor
304 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two or Three Days Trip, Ontario in early April

Early April is off-season in most places. We visit the Bruce/Tobermory area quite often and did once visit in mid April - pretty well everything was closed (that was a number of years ago, but I still suggest you check out whether restaurants and shops will be open). The main attractions up there are related to hiking and/or boating the 2 National Parks and I think these opportunities will be limited in April.

Algonquin is a lovely park although again April is not the most popular time - could be rather gray, damp and cold. The trails will be open but possibly muddy (although I don't know how much hiking you want to do). Wildlife viewing opportunities exist year round. The Visitors Centre opens on weekends only in winter, I'm not sure about April but I suspect the same.

Kingston is a nice little city although the main activity would be the Thousand Islands tours from there or nearby Gananoque or Rockport. There are a few nice shops and restaurants in downtown Kingston.

Blue Mountain I'm guessing will be between seasons too. I would suggest phoning them to find out what activities/attractions will be open.

Athens, Ontario
Level Contributor
555 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two or Three Days Trip, Ontario in early April

Peterborough is a bit closer and has a free zoo that's pretty decent. The Super 8 has rooms with in-room Jacuzzi's that might be nice on pregnant bones (unless she's consantly boiling hot), or rooms with a curtained off bunk bed area.

Kingston is also home to Fort Henry which your son may enjoy. Check 101 Kids for a list of other kid friendly activities (www.101kidstravel.com/index.cfm…) or Explore the Arch for hiking/walking options (explorethearch.ca).

Another option would be Ottawa. It's only a few more hours up the highway and has some great museums and the Peace Tower. There's also some nice Spas in Ottawa where mom could get a message while you and your son do something more active.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
19,149 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two or Three Days Trip, Ontario in early April

You might consider Prince Edward County... although I'm unsure what there would be to do for a child. Lots of great spots to stay.

http://prince-edward-county.com/

Peterborough is a nice town - as well as the zoo, there are the liftlocks - although whether they are operating at that time you''d have to check. The Super 8 is not located downtown - it's on a south end commercial strip. Good for chain restaurants, etc.

Have you thought of a small resort for a few days? Elmhirst Resort, south of Peterborough, on Rice Lake is a year round resort with its own working farm on site, and various activities. Rates in April might be reasonable.

http://elmhirst.ca/

Edited: 10:14 pm, February 21, 2013
detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,645 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Two or Three Days Trip, Ontario in early April

I like 3 day trips, two is cutting it tight and four nights can drag on at times...three nights often times seems just right--least for just one city. Multi city trips are a different bag, then it depends where you are going for the length of your stay in each town.

Edited: 10:17 pm, February 21, 2013
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
479 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Two or Three Days Trip, Ontario in early April

I think Blue Mountain would be a nice getaway.

There is a great indoor pool complex, and some of the hotels (Mosaiic for example) have heated outdoor pools. The roller coaster will be running, and if your 6yo is anything like my nephews, he'll love it (but will probably have to ride with Dad). Mom could probably get a spa treatment while the boys are riding the roller coaster.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Two or Three Days Trip, Ontario in early April

stillsmoking, phpr, tweedwolfscream, IrishHoneymooners and Mat, Thank you guys! So I will focus on Peterborough or Thousand Islands or even Ottawa, and make a new itinerary , based on your suggestions. Thanks!

toronto
Level Contributor
304 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Two or Three Days Trip, Ontario in early April

Great thoughts from IrishHoneymooners. I had forgotten Fort Henry in Kingston as haven't visited it since I was a kid myself. And Ottawa, although a little farther, is one of our favorite getaways in any season. Lots there to keep you busy for several days. Super museums include Museum of Civilization and recently renovated Canadian Museum of Nature. Byward Market District has many specialty shops, Cafes, pubs and restaurants and craft stalls outside in good weather. The Parliament. Buildings are spectacularly set on a cliff over the river and very impressive, outside and in. Big selection of downtown hotels close to everything also include a number of Suite/apartment hotels with kitchens and lots of space.

Edited: 7:51 am, February 22, 2013
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Two or Three Days Trip, Ontario in early April

Thank you guys, and also thank you ,TorontoKimmer.

I am currently considering a relaxing lakeside hotel/resort/B&B. Elmhirst Resort, suggested by phpr, looks like a perfect spot, but nearby Peterborough (the waterlift closed till May) and Kingston(1000 islands cruise closed till May also) seemed unattractive at this season.

A lakeside lodge such as Rheinhessen Estate Bed & Breakfast seemed a good alternative and we can shift our holiday to the kids parks near Niagara.

tripadvisor.com.tw/Hotel_Review-g155013-d154…

Does local expers have any suggestions for a good relaxing lake view hotel or B&B?

Thank you in advance!