We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baron De Hirsch Cemetary

boston
6 posts
Save Topic
Baron De Hirsch Cemetary

What is thw best way to get to / from cemetary from downtown Halifax ? Will be arriving via cruise ship. Is public transportation an optionr

Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Baron De Hirsch Cemetary

Hello bdinmal"

Three cemeteries contain the bodies of Titanic casualties"

121 at Fairview Lawn Cemetery.

19 at Mount Olivet Cemetery. (Catholic)

10 at Baron De Hirsch Cemetery ( Jewish)

I am pretty sure that Baron De Hirsch is part of the Fairview Cemetery. I will check to be sure and get back to you.

This is in the north west end of the city and public transportation is certainly available and a taxi would be about $10 dollars from the pier and downtown. I understand that Baron De Hirsch is opened only by appointment. The other two are open to the public.

Parks and Natural Services--Halifax

Co-ordinator-- Stephen King

fax---1-902-490-4890

phone- 1-902-490-4894

I'll post back

regards........

boston
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Baron De Hirsch Cemetary

Thanks for info.

Taxi seems to be the best way. I think I will plan on that.

I also heard it was by appointment only.

The reason for my visit is that my Great Grandfather is buried there. He died in 1924, we never knew where his grave was located until a few months ago. We have yet to find my great grandmother. Seem to lose trail in 1890s in Halifax.

I have written an email to the cemetary association that maintains the cemetary to see how to get access and where grave is located within cemetary .

Thanks

Bill D

Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Baron De Hirsch Cemetary

Hi Bill D'

Have you checked to archives in Halifax for your great grandmother ? I'm sure you must have done some sort of search to locate your great grandfather. The Halifax archives are quite accurate I understand and have helped many in the past.....

Tell the taxi driver you are looking for the corner of Cannaught Avenue and Windsor Street. I haven't taken a taxi in quite awhile so perhaps it may cost $15, depending on the time of day and traffic.

I wouldn't wish to mislead you. All the best in your search.

boston
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Baron De Hirsch Cemetary

Dear "Blondie"

Thank you for your update. I have used Google Earth to get a visual of the cemetary. I have yet to receive a response from my email on getting an appointment. If nothing happens will try your contact.

Re Great Grandmother. Have used most on line search tools etc. Have her birth date, find her in US in late 1800's, and in Halifax early 1900. Plan to use second part of our day for a visit to archives. Where is that located ?

Bill D

Cape Breton Island...
Level Contributor
1,470 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Baron De Hirsch Cemetary

Hello , go to www.gov.ns.ca/nsarm. The Nova Scotia is located not far from downtown at 6016 University Ave. if you are coming from the Cruise Ship Dock, you are not far at all. Good luck.

Cape Breton Island...
Level Contributor
1,470 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Baron De Hirsch Cemetary

Sorry, I didnt finish the name. The Nova Scotia Archives and Records Management that is.

boston
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Baron De Hirsch Cemetary

Thank you. Plan visit in the afternoon. Has anyone heard of Wentzell Ltd. ?

Bill D

Longwood, Florida
Level Contributor
120 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Baron De Hirsch Cemetary

Hello: Did you try www.thebethisrael.com ?

This the site for the very old orthodox synagogue in Halifax. Look for the cemetery button. There you will find some very interesting facts about the Baron de Hirsch cemetery, including names on headstones.

Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Baron De Hirsch Cemetary

Wentzell Ltd ???

What exactly does that pertain too ???

Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
71 reviews