We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st family trip to Nova Scotia

Which Halifax hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
Level Contributor
108 posts
Save Topic
1st family trip to Nova Scotia

Hi all!

I am planning a family (2 adults, 2 kids ages 10 and 12) trip to Nova Scotia next summer (probably last week in July). We are planning on staying a couple of nights in Bar Harbor and then taking the Cat to Yarmouth.

Am thinking 2 nts in Digby (or out on Brier Island), 2 nts in Halifax and 2 nts at White Point Beach Resort and then taking the Cat back to Portland (we live in Massachusetts).

Does this seem like a good introductory trip to Nova Scotia? (If not, what would you recommend for 6 nts? Will do Cape Breton Island with my hubby after the kids are out of the house!)) Does anyone have any recommendations for a good family hotel in Halifax? Would you recommend the Mountain Gap Inn in Digby or the Brier Island Lodge (or anywhere else)?

Thanks for all your help!

Nancy

Boston
Level Contributor
108 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st family trip to Nova Scotia

Ok, so I just read all the awful reports on the White Point Beach resort! May have to rethink that.

Anyone have recommendations for a place to stay along the southern shore (Lighthouse Route?) for a couple of nights before we make our way back to Yarmouth and the Cat.

Thanks!

Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st family trip to Nova Scotia

Hi U2boston"

I would suggest the Mountain Gap Inn-absolutly.

it's a really good choice.

White Point Lodge- some love it and return time after time. Some are extremely dissapointed. Personally, I think it's a lot of hype about nothing. Sorry White Point.

Instead a popular spot, especially for families is close by White Point, in an even better beach area, Summerville Beach.

Have a look at The Quarterdeck Beachside Villas

www.quarterdeck.ns.ca

For Halifax I would suggest the Raddison Suites Downtown.

Very comfortable suites, good immenities for the kids, and reasonably priced.

I hope to be able to help you more with your planning.

regards,

blondie

Cape Breton Island...
Level Contributor
1,470 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st family trip to Nova Scotia

I hope you do return and visit Cape Breton. It is beautiful here and I am sure you would enjoy your visit.

south shore...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st family trip to Nova Scotia

We just returned from a 12 day trip to Nova Scotia and really enjoyed ourselves! For places to stay, we absolutely loved the Queen Anne Inn in Annapolis Royal. We were traveling with my 3 daughters (ages 8, 14 and 16), my husband and my mom & dad. We rented both units in the carriage house and it was perfect! Each unit has 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms and it's separate from the main house. The gourmet breakfast is included and was delicious! If you're there on a Tuesday or Friday night, don't miss the lobster dinner outside on the new deck complete with koi pond and deer peering out from the woods!

For an option on the Lighthouse route, we stayed in 2 units at Rosewood on the Cove. Very clean, comfortable (not rustic but not fancy) and in a great location situated on (what else?) a cove! We had easy access into Halifax and surrounding scenic areas.

Our family really enjoyed Nova Scotia and looks forward to a return visit when (we, too!!) will visit Cape Breton sans children!

Penny

Halifax, NS Canada
Level Contributor
398 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st family trip to Nova Scotia

Hi Nancy,

One thing I'd say is definitely book your hotels early if you're visiting in July. It is usually easy enough to cancel later (check the policies of each property) but it can be hard to get what you want at the last minute.

There are certainly lots of options as to how to divide your time in NS. I'd definitely do 2 nights in Halifax. You've planned your trip with three "hub" destinations along the way; the other way to go is to hop along the coast a bit more by spending, i.e., one night at Mountain Gap, one night around Wolfville, 2 nights in Halifax, one night in Chester, one night at White Point...that kind of method. Of course, this depends entirely upon your own preferences (and those of your kids!)

I've never stayed at Mountain Gap Inn myself, but one of my best friends keeps telling me I have to go. White Point is not "resort-y" in the way you might think, but it's all about your expectations. It's a popular escape destination for folks from Halifax to take their families and they have packages that can be quite attractively priced. Personally, I enjoy it myself, especially if they have a good weekend deal, but I'm lukewarm about recommending it because I know it often doesn't meet people's expectations.

I think the Radisson is a great suggestion for downtown Halifax; Cambridge Suites isn't as new but the rooms are big and the location is also good. I've never been in Four Points Sheraton (you can hit the Radisson with a rock from there) but hear it's also a good value. The Prince George is a more upscale hotel but the amenities are very good (indoor pool) and the staff bends over backwards to help you.

By the way, we took the Cat to visit your fair city last year and everyone loved the ferry. It's pricey but saves a lot of time. We loved Bar Harbour and REALLY can't wait to get back to Boston. I think I may have had the best Chinese food of my life there. I'd be interested to know if you find Halifax similar to Boston, on a smaler scale, as I did.

All the best with your planning!

6. Re: 1st family trip to Nova Scotia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 pm, August 17, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Halifax