We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

9/06 Itinerary help

Which Halifax hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
Level Contributor
14 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
9/06 Itinerary help

My s.o. and I are going 9/10 to Halifax, staying at the Briarwood B&B near airport for two nights, then 4 nights at McKenzie House in Port Hawkesbury, then two nights at Tulip/Thistle in Truro. Does this seem like a not-to-exhausting itinerary for 8 days?

I think we are most interested in whale watching, scenery, hiking (moderate level), etc. Can anyone give me a good idea of the weather? I am thinking 60 degrees F?

Any input on hotels? And I guess we should ATM for CAD at airport or as soon as possible thereafter? Cars seem quite expensive, how is gas now? Hope we dont have TOO much trouble given the new airport security issues. Thanks all...Elisabethm

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
3,218 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 9/06 Itinerary help

It seems like a good itinerary to me. Assuming 9/10 means Oct. (that's the way Canada and the rest of the world writes dates), the average high will be 65F and average low 40F. Assuming 9/10 means Sept. (the way the US writes dates), the average high will be 65F and low 50F. Either way, it'll be cool at night, so pack some sweaters and slacks.

For money, it'll be best either to use your credit cards and get some C$ from ATMs or any bank. If you use US$ in shops/restaurants, etc., the exchange rate they give isn't too good, because they have to trot the money to the bank.

I can't help you with the hotels/cars/gas, but I'm sure someone else will be able to. Have a great trip and let us know if there is anything else we can help you with.

northeast
Level Contributor
8 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 9/06 Itinerary help

Be sure and check the location of the Briarwood - the Halifax airport is 45 minute drive outside the city. Best to find a B&B in town, you might like the Haliberton - I think it's on Barrington Street or Hollis Street - you can walk to dozens of restaurants, Historic Properties, Spring Garden Road, the Citidel, Public Gardens etc, etc. There's a shuttle to the local hotels from the airport if you don't want to rent a car there. Places will take US$, but some don't give a great exchange rate. Gas hit $1.19/litre today- 3.7 liters makes a US gallon - pretty expensive - but the drive will be worth it - I suggest a trip past Port Hawkesbury onto Cape Breton Island (the Cabot Trail should be spectacular in early October - fall leaves are very colorful!)

Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 9/06 Itinerary help

I was wondering about the Briarwood's location as well.

Perhaps it is your intention to avoid the city, but if not, I would reconsider the 2 nights there. Some very nice hotels/ boutique hotels/ B&B's etc in Halifax. Let us know if you are happy with the airport location, if not we can recommend other choices for you.

Yes--gas is expensive. We are all hating that here but what can you do ?

No gels-liquids-or pastes allowed in your carry on luggage at all anymore as you are probably aware. Everything must be checked.

Something we will all have to accept from now on.

Have you chosen a place for whalewatching ?

Florida
Level Contributor
14 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 9/06 Itinerary help

Hi: No I have not chosen location for whales, I guess there are several but I dont know which would be good? Can you help? I have done some on Cape Cod and in Hawaii and its a wonderful experience if you have "sightings."

The Briarwood makes a big deal out of being 3-6 minutes from the airport and we will come in quite late from Toronto, get our car and then stay one additional night so we can see Halifax the day after and stay over at Briarwood again. Then we will take off to Cape B.

I know we will be dog tired flying from Tampa to Toronto to Halifax but the connections are dicey at best.

Not much any of us can do about the gas thing, huh? I must confess to being a tad nervous about flying on 9/10!!

5. Re: 9/06 Itinerary help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 pm, August 14, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Halifax