We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

phone service to US from Halifax

Northbridge, Ma
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
phone service to US from Halifax

My daughter will be studying at Dalhousie for the first semester. Her US cell phone plan will not be available to her. Any recommendations for the best way for her to call the US from Halifax?

Mentioned in this post
Dalhousie
Dalhousie
Chamba District, India
Toronto
Level Contributor
169 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: phone service to US from Halifax

If calling "collect" is not an option (although, from my recollection - that's what I did all the time!) then why not consider getting a cell phone phone there? There are 'pay as you go' plans with no long term commitments and other plans that require contracts - all options are avaialble from national providers like Bell/Aliant, Rogers, Telus, etc - she can check them out once she gets to Halifax.

Toronto
Level Contributor
169 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: phone service to US from Halifax

One last idea hit me - if she knows about 'internet' phones, that might also be something to consider: companies like 'Vonage' offer those kind of services.

Fall River, Canada
Destination Expert
for Halifax
Level Contributor
1,329 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: phone service to US from Halifax

I heard on the radio the other day, they were offering a plan for students.... cell phone and wireless internet for 9 months. Sorry, but I wish I could recall with who......

I would say the three major cell phone suppliers here are Rogers, Telus and Aliant. Most of them have long distance plans available, but this can cost a lot if she goes over her minutes. I'm sure these companies will be out in droves during the first week of University.

I don't know where she's staying, but the cheapest thing for long distance, would be to have a phone hooked up and go with a good long distance plan.

Whatever she does, do it as soon as she gets here. The waiting lists for hook-up service is LONG in September.

Fall River, Canada
Destination Expert
for Halifax
Level Contributor
1,329 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: phone service to US from Halifax

I heard on the radio today that Aliant is offering an 8 month contract for students. I went to their website, but couldn't find any link to this, but I'm absolutlely positive it was Aliant. Try this link....

…aliant.net/PS/ns/english/home/home.jsp

5. Re: phone service to US from Halifax

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 am, August 17, 2009