We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sept 1 through 5

Illinois
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Sept 1 through 5

My daughter and I (adults) are thinking of a trip to Halifax on the above dates. We have never been there before. We are flying and won't rent a car. So, is there enough to keep us occupied in the walking distance of downtown/harbour? History, museums, shopping, people watching all ok. I believe there is a theatre festival during that time. Tickets available on site or buy ahead? We aren't big spenders, so what is a comfy hotel in good location for walkers with possibly an airport shuttle? And, pardon my ignorance, what are travelercouples (or perhaps I am misremembering the term). Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Halifax
Halifax
Halifax Region, Canada
Rousseau Chocolatier
Gift & Specialty Shops, Coffeehouses
Harbourside Market
Flea & Street Markets, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Art Gallery of Nova Scotia
Art Galleries, Art Museums
Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,782 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sept 1 through 5

Hi GLeone"

Sorry for the delay in responding. I have been out these past few days enjoying the many fine beaches and activities here in Nova Scotia.

As to your question"

Do know that day trip are available from downtown Halifax since you won'"t have access to a car. Water tours, walking tours, small tour vans and buses to Peggys Cove, Lighthouse Route and Evangeline destinations, etc.....All are reasonably priced and well worth it. Yes-lots to do and see right there in Halifax. Have a look at a previous post, ":things to do in Halifax" for some ideas. Musuems, a wonderful boardwalk, histoical areas, fine shopping and dining, you name it. Our Halifax expert will be back from vacation soon, and she has an endless list of things to do in and around the metro area.

www.halifaxinfo.com

www.halifax.ca/visitors

Try typing Halifax into the search function above and see all that has been discussed here at the forum regarding this. Also Dartmouth, Halifax's twin city, directly across the harbour has much to offer. This can be done by taking the ferry from the Goverment Wharf at minimal charge many times each day--duration 5 minutes.

Be assured that all is up and operating in the city for the time you will be here. Halifax has alot of people watching venues, so no lack of that--I am a people watching fan also.....lol

Downtown hotels are plentiful and mostly all are excellently located.

If you could give me your price range, I would be happy to recommend a few for you. Airport shuttle--no problem.

I'm sorry but do not know what you are referring too by "travelercouples". Could you enlighten me as to where you found that term.

look forward to hearing back from you, and all the best.

Mentioned in this post
Halifax
Halifax
Halifax Region, Canada
Dartmouth
Dartmouth
Halifax Region, Canada
Illinois
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sept 1 through 5

Well Blondie, I don't know how to get back to you, so I hope this does it. I don't remember where I saw the term, but it was in this forum someplace and I think the author was Bedlace. Another question has come up - I see that Halifax airport does not have customs preclearance yet - is that correct? And does that mean that we have to retrieve our luggage at the first stop in the US and go through customs there? Having read reviews, I think we are on to a hotel. Thanks for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Halifax
Halifax
Halifax Region, Canada
3. Re: Sept 1 through 5

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 am, August 14, 2009