We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nova Scotia in December

New York City, New...
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Nova Scotia in December

Hi, Me and a friend were looking to take a road trip into and through Nova Scotia this December. Is this still a reasonable time to visit? We are the adventurous time and concerned that our trip may be limited if we go this month. Is there anything interesting we may expect to see if we were to go in the next week or two? We would be extremely grateful for any help or suggestions offered. Thanks!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
287 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nova Scotia in December

There are certainly things to enjoy at any time of year ... but as you said yourself, you will be limited in activities. Many of the tourist attractions are from May-October. It's not a good time of year for a road trip as Nova Scotia is known for snow storms and freezing rain.

What part of Nova Scotia were you thinking of? Mostly Halifax? I'm not sure exactly what you are interested in doing, but here are some things in the Halifax area that are available in the winter:

In Halifax, the Keith's Brewery has a great brewery tour. There are lots of great pubs and bars with live music. Peggy's Cove is something you can see all year, but it is more enjoyable in the warmer months.

New Minas, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
2,197 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nova Scotia in December

Here's a couple of websites that will inform you of events.

www.novascotia.com

Under Festival & Events put in the dates that you plan on being here.

The following website is for the Annapolis Valley.

ourvalley.ca/events

The weather is unpredictable but the Valley & South Shore usually has less snow than the Northern part of the province. Today in the Wolfville area it is raining and no snow on the ground. You will find that a number of attractions will be closed for the winter. It will depend what your interests are.

Check on the Nova Scotia website above for further information & let us know if you have any further questions.

New York City, New...
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Nova Scotia in December

Thanks everyone for the helpful information. We are looking to make halifax our base and drive around. Some hiking and kayaking would be nice but is that still possible right now?

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,752 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nova Scotia in December

Take New York weather and drop the temperature a few degrees and that is what you can expect here. I doubt if you would want to kayak even if you could find an outfitter.

Hiking may be possible in some areas but it has been very wet recently and it may not be great hiking in some areas. I am not a hiking expert so I hope others living closer to Halifax can make some suggestions.

Advocate Harbour...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nova Scotia in December

As mentioned, kayaking is pretty well out of the question as the outfitters have stored the boats for the winter. For hiking, lots of options around. If you must stay close to Halifax check out the trails at Pollys Cove. The best hikes this time of year are where you can get some protection in forest though, as coastal hikes such as Pollys can be brutal with the winds.

The issue is getting accommodations close by the best trails. Some of the best hikes in the province would be out at Cape Chignecto Provincial Park where you can combine forested and ocean trails, depending on the conditions of the day. Its the largest and wildest provincial park in Nova Scotia, with awesome scenery. The park is closed, but the trails are always accessible. Great thing about Chignecto is that you also get to experience the largest tides on the planet. But it is a 3 hours drive from Halifax. Best to stay closer to get on the trails early. The only place I can think of that would be open close by would be in Parrsboro, where the Evangeline Towers B&B should be open.

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
2,109 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nova Scotia in December

I'm currently on vacation in Nova Scotia and having a great time even though it's winter. I spent 27 years living in NS before I moved to Manitoba. Hiking is totally dependent on the weather. Right now the weather in the Annapolis Valkey is pretty good, warm and very little snow. If it stays this way you might be able to hike Cape Split near Wolfville. Wolfville is a great area and busy year round as it is home to Acadia University. Lots of good restaurants, some pubs, nice b&bs open year round. I've done this trail in the summer and it is great. Through the woods and at the end you have a magnificent view of the Bay of Fundy. If you do this trail please be very careful at the end by the water as this time of year you are unlikely to see others hiking. And if wet it could be slippery. Big drop down to the water.

For other activities try Keith's Brewery tour in Halifax, Pier 21 museum, NS Art Gallery, Citadel, all located in downtown Halifax near the waterfront. you can also walk along the Halifax waterfront, go to Peggy's cove, etc. this time of year the usual outdoor seaside summer tourist activities will be basically shut down but if the weather is decent you can still walk along the shore and beaches. One place outside Halifax you could stay is Cambra Sands in Malagash. Beautiful winterized cottages right on a sand beach with a hot tub. I stayed here one winter and loved it.

If you look through the NS trip reports I did one last January for a winter NS vacation. You might find it helpful.

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
2,109 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nova Scotia in December

I bumped up my trip report from last January for you. Hope it helps with some ideas. One thing in that trip report you might like is Sugar Moon Farm. Maple syrup farm with pancakes. But they also sometimes have snowshoeing and dog sledding close by.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,752 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nova Scotia in December

Thanks for reminding us of your great trip report. I hope the OP comes back and sees this.

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g154967-i326-k61497…

New York City, New...
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Nova Scotia in December

Thank you everyone for the extremely helpful information. It is exactly what we needed and will use it to plan accordingly. It is unfortunate about the kayakingvut I'm sure everything else will make up for it.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,752 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nova Scotia in December

Let us know how your trip goes.