We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wineries at the Halifax Seaport Farmers Market

Which Halifax hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
Level Contributor
163 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Wineries at the Halifax Seaport Farmers Market

I just read that some of the Nova Scotia wineries have booths at the Halifax Seaport Farmers Market. Unfortunately, the market's website is in development, so I have no idea if this is just one or two of them, or if most of the NS wineries are there, with the ability to taste and purchase most of their wines. I'm particularly interested in these six wineries in the Wolfville/Canning/Windsor area, and am wondering whether they have booths at the farmers market in Halifax:

Avondale Sky Winery

Blomidon Estates Winery

Domaine de Grand Pre Wines

Gaspereau Vineyards

Luckett Vineyards

Sainte-Famille Wines

toronto
Level Contributor
289 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wineries at the Halifax Seaport Farmers Market

We were at the Market last summer and purchased wine from one of the booths. I do not remember there being a large selection of wineries represented. I do not remember if many, or even any, wines were offered for tasting. The 1 bottle we purchased (enthusiastically promoted by the wine maker) was definitely not offered for tasting.

Booths change frequently in these types of markets.It might be worthwhile to contact the Wineries directly and ask them.

Halifax
Level Contributor
691 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Wineries at the Halifax Seaport Farmers Market

There are only a few at the market St. Famille is one, there are a couple of others are you in port on a Friday,Saturday or Sunday if not, then may not be open.

Your best bet is to go to Bishops Cellar less than 5 mins from Port

http://bishopscellar.com/

They carry the largest selection, without going to wineries and also offer tastings.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,094 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wineries at the Halifax Seaport Farmers Market

However, if you are looking for Nova Scotia wines, Bishop's Cellar is not the place to go. I live out of town and rarely get to the market, but I don't think you will find too many of the wineries there. There will be some.

If you have the time a trip to the wineries in the Wolfville area would be great. If you are on a cruise let us know. There is at least one company doing private tours for cruise passengers to the wineries.

Halifax
Level Contributor
691 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Wineries at the Halifax Seaport Farmers Market

I see by your other post your are here for awhile and thought about going to Wolfville, if so you could tour some of the wineries yourself if not there are 3 companies I know that give tours.

Grape Escapes-www.novascotiawinetours.com

and Go North - www.gonorthtours.com/

Halifax Tour Guys www.halifaxtourguys.com this is described as food and wine tour.

According to Bishops Cellar website they do carry a number of Nova Scotia wines and do offer tastings?

Hope that helps.

Chicago
Level Contributor
163 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wineries at the Halifax Seaport Farmers Market

Terrific info, thanks. Sounds like the farmer's market may be worth visiting, but not for the wine tasting/purchasing. We'll stick with our plans to visit the wineries themselves, in the Wolfville area.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,094 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wineries at the Halifax Seaport Farmers Market

That is a good idea. It is wonderful touring the wineries. In my opinion (I hope cheerfully disputed by others!) Luckett's winery has the best setting and view and Gaspereau has some of the best wines.

Halifax
Level Contributor
691 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Wineries at the Halifax Seaport Farmers Market

Yes if you are in Halifax on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday, the market would definitely be open, there is a plethora of wonderful food as well as some wine and a number of very talented artisans. Well worth a visit.

Edited: 3:23 pm, March 22, 2013
Chicago
Level Contributor
163 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wineries at the Halifax Seaport Farmers Market

What are the hours of the farmers market in the summer? Still only Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays? We'll be in Halifax on a Monday and Tuesday.

Halifax
Level Contributor
691 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Wineries at the Halifax Seaport Farmers Market

I am not sure about this season, last year they were closed on Mondays but open on Tuesdays,

can post later in the season and let you know, hopefully you will catch it open.

10. Re: Wineries at the Halifax Seaport Farmers Market

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 24, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Halifax