We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does the Titanic cemetery have an iron fence around it?

Which Halifax hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
771 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Does the Titanic cemetery have an iron fence around it?

We are working on a photography book of iron cemetery fences around North America and we will be in Halifax in a few months. We prefer older, less cared for and somewhat abandoned cemeteries but I just learned of the Titanic cemetery so that might be a great addition. I am wondering if the Titanic cemetery has any kind of iron fence around it.

If not, do you know of other cemeteries that are near the cruise port with iron fences?

Thank you!

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,389 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does the Titanic cemetery have an iron fence around it?

Coming immediately to mind are two cemeteries in the downtown area: The Old Burying Ground and the Camphill Cemetery. I am from the Halifax area but have never visited the Titanic graves. I am not sure if there is an iron fence.

Here is a map and a few webpages:

http://goo.gl/maps/SC2mm

…wikipedia.org/wiki/…29

http://oldburyingground.ca/history.php

…thefullwiki.org/Cemeteries_in_the_Halifax_R…

…wikipedia.org/wiki/…_Nova_Scotia

tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g154976-d15…

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
771 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does the Titanic cemetery have an iron fence around it?

Thank you so much for the links, I will check them out. It is really only through TripAdvisor that we are able successfully navigate the local cemeteries in all of our travel locations because we can never find enough information or pictures on google.

Again, thank you so much for the links!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Does the Titanic cemetery have an iron fence around it?

A quick look on Google Streetview showed a lot of chain-link, but no iron.

Halifax
Level Contributor
691 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Does the Titanic cemetery have an iron fence around it?

The answer is part of it!!! It also borders with another cemetary that has stone wall and also beside highway with chain-link.

Here are pics

http://www.google.ca/search?q=picture+fairview+cemetery+halifax+ns&hl=en&tbo=u&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=Mm0KUaWtBZCw8ASYgoHIAw&ved=0CD8QsAQ&biw=702&bih=703

Hope that helps.

Edited: 8:21 am, January 31, 2013
Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
257 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does the Titanic cemetery have an iron fence around it?

The majority of the Titanic graves are in Faiview Lawn Cemetery. As LuluC said, there is a mixture of fencing. The Titanic graves are not near a fence, so if your intent is to photograph them by or through the fence, you're out of luck. Mount Olivet also has Titanic graves, but the fencing is stone.

The two cemeteries Maryann mentioned, do not have Titanic graves, but are great old cemeteries for taking pictures. Although, they are pretty well kept, so you'll not get the "old, abandoned" look you like. I've taken many a great shot through the wrought iron fencing of the Old Burying Ground.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
257 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Does the Titanic cemetery have an iron fence around it?

Further:

If it's iron fencing you're looking for, pop over to Dartmouth. On Park Avenue, there's two old cemteries, St. Peter's (commonly referred to as the Dartmouth Common cemetery) and Christ Church cemetery.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
771 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Does the Titanic cemetery have an iron fence around it?

Thank you everyone for your help. I see that the old burying ground looks walkable from the cruise port sp we will probably end up there instead of the Titanic area. With the cemeteries on this list to check out I have some research to do before the trip.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,389 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Does the Titanic cemetery have an iron fence around it?

I think you have made a good decision. There is so much to see and do in downtown Halifax. Camphill Cemetery is wonderful to walk through. It is like an extension of the Public Gardens. http://goo.gl/maps/mPLlB

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
771 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Does the Titanic cemetery have an iron fence around it?

I checked out Camp Hill cemetery on google images and it doesn't quite have the pictures of iron fences like we can usually find on google image searches. We had planned to visit there anyway because I mapped the gardens and the cemetery in relation to the cruise port and they look really close, so hopefully we will be able to find at least a little fence or two.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,389 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Does the Titanic cemetery have an iron fence around it?

www.yelp.ca/biz/camp-hill-cemetery-halifax

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_Hill_Cemetery

I cannot remember if there are little iron fences. The whole thing is surrounded by an iron fence and there are certainly some interesting tomb stones.

Edited: 11:21 am, February 07, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Halifax