We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Halifax Tour Guide goes above and beyond your typical tour !

The Villages...
Level Contributor
17 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Halifax Tour Guide goes above and beyond your typical tour !

In October 2012 we were on the Celebrity Summitt cruising from Bayonne to Quebec and return with a stop in Halifax, NS. From some on-line references I decided to book a tour for our group of 6 with Halifax Cruise Ship Taxi Tours.Price was very resonable at $45 per hour for the van ..not per person. Our tour guide Al DesLaurier met us promptly at the port, asked us some questions and designed our tour of the area. We agreed on a schedule that would include the City of Halifax, The Titantic, The Sugar Shack (Maple processors), a lobster/oyster lunch at Ryers Lobster, and finally Peggy's Cove. Quite alot to cover in approx 5 hours.

The tour of the city,the history of halifax to the Titantic and the sugar shack were all going great. Al said look on our way to Peggys Cove I have some fish bait in the back and I can show you 2 - 4 pound lobsters that will come out under this bridge and you can see how lobsters feed. OK this sounded interesting enough. Now its chilly outside with the wind blowing. and Al is throwing the bait in trying ot coak the lobsters to come out. IN the meantime we are fighting off the gulls who want the food and the crabs who are geting the food, but still no 4lb lobster(s). Then someone thinks they see something and my wife bends over the edge and then it happens PLOP....her best shinny gold earning falls slowly in the 6 foot of ice cold water finally settling on the bottom. We can all see it (still no lobster) but what to do. What a damper did this put on our tour. After moping around for awhile Al takes us to Peggys Cove and he tells us he is going for some ice cream and will meet us in 15-20 minutes at the light house...but to take our time. After we walked the rocks and took pictures of the lighthhouse we see a person waving for us to come back...Its AL...while getting some ice cream (if that is what he really did) he found a local diver who said he can get a wet suit on later in the day and recover the earring for us. Was everyone happy. IN the meantime Al called ahead to Ryers Lobster which is a whoesale distributor, and we had the best 2 pound lobsters ever along with fresh oysters. The cooked lobster dinners were only $9 a pound or less than $20. The owner then showed us his lobster tanks which can hold up to 25,000 pounds of lobster and how he has to be ready to deliver fresh lobster as far away as amsterdam. Great side tour no one was expecting. BUt then Al gets another call and its the diver...he has the earring and where can we meet up. Well a short drive later my wife was reunited with her Gold earring , and we just finished one of the best lobster dinners we ever had, and we had a great tour of halifax and the surrounding.

Cannot say enough about our tour guide Al ( aldeslaurier@gmail.com)...HIGHLY Recommended...but we never did see the 4 pound lobsters!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,463 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Halifax Tour Guide goes above and beyond your typical tour !

You didn't miss anything not seeing 4lb lobsters, and you certainly wouldn't want to eat one. Anything bigger than about 1.5lbs is no good - the bigger they get, the less appetizing they are.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,946 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Halifax Tour Guide goes above and beyond your typical tour !

Rich, thanks so much for this review. I'm glad you had such a great day. You experienced some of our famous Maritime hospitality. I will be adding your review to my notes to help future cruisers.

Bedford, Canada
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Halifax Tour Guide goes above and beyond your typical tour !

I have met Al myself and the thing that surprises me is that he didn't dive into the water himself to get the earring. Great representation of the area and our hospitality. I hope he sees this review. Dave and his wife at Ryers are amazing people also and do a great job with the whole Lobster shack.

Keep up the good work everyone.

Bedford, Canada
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Halifax Tour Guide goes above and beyond your typical tour !

Rich,

I will send you a PM about this also but I want to let you know about the TIANS Pinapple Awards that are given our here in NS. Stiries like this are what win awards. Please take a look at this link and consider nominating Al.

tians.org/programs/…nomination-form

notkevin

Halifax
Level Contributor
691 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Halifax Tour Guide goes above and beyond your typical tour !

What a great review, wonderful how all came together to get your earring back. I agree with notkevin- great idea.

The Villages...
Level Contributor
17 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Halifax Tour Guide goes above and beyond your typical tour !

notkevin

Taken care of....glad to a local organization has a process to recogninze outstanding service.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,946 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Halifax Tour Guide goes above and beyond your typical tour !

Thank you so much for doing this.

Bedford, Canada
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Halifax Tour Guide goes above and beyond your typical tour !

Great Rich,

Let us know if you get a response. This story is amazing and should be recognized.

notkevin

Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Halifax Tour Guide goes above and beyond your typical tour !

Yes, thanks so much for taking the time to make us all aware, much appreciated,

blondie *

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Halifax Tour Guide goes above and beyond your typical tour !

I have just booked Al in for Sept 2013 (to get in quick before others read the great reviews)

After reading your review I am very excited and really looking forward to this tour even more so.

Thank you for sharing;o)