We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 days in Halifax with kids

Montreal
Level Contributor
2 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
4 days in Halifax with kids

I will be spending 4 days in Halifax with my 2 kids age 9 and 11 from June 21th and the more I read the more confused I get! My daughter wants to see everything related to the Titanic and the Halifax Harbor explosion.

We also would really like to go to Peggy's Cove and go to a Lobster restaurant in the area.

I am hesitant to go with the big coach tours as they often crowed a place, but renting a car I feel I would loose the input of a good travel guide.

I have looked into the Bluenose sidecar tours and the E.A.R.T.H. tours as well.Any suggestions?

Thx in advance for your help!

Cape Breton Island...
Level Contributor
1,470 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 days in Halifax with kids

The Maritime Museum of Natural History and the Harbour Hopper. Google these for more information. The kids will LOVE these.

New Minas, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
2,123 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 days in Halifax with kids

The Maritime Museum of the Atlantic will have lots of the info your daughter is interested in.

www.maritime.museum.gov.ns.ca

I took my granddaughter to the Bedford Institute of Oceanography a few years ago & she loved it, especially the "touch tank'.

www.bio.gc.ca/tours

I'm not familar with the tours to Peggys Cove, hopefully someone else will help you out with that. Another option is to call the Nova Scotia Tourism toll free number for information.

1-8000-565-0000

Edited: 9:54 am, June 13, 2012
New Minas, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
2,123 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 days in Halifax with kids

That website for the Bedford Institute isn't working.

Just try www.bio.gc.ca then click on guided tours.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,953 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 days in Halifax with kids

Except for Peggy's Cove, you will not need a guide or tour bus.

I am sending you a private message with my notes about various tour companies and taxis. I have compiled these mainly for cruise ship passengers.

You may want to consider renting a car for one day to go to Peggy's Cove, Mahone Bay and other coastal communities.

You will find a lot of information by using the search feature below and by going to the nova scotia website: www.novascotia.com/en/home/default.aspx

Fall River, Canada
Destination Expert
for Halifax
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 days in Halifax with kids

They will enjoy Peggy's Cove. They will enjoy the rocks, and the gift shop.

There is a place close near the route, in Hubbards, called the Shore Club. They have a great lobster dinner, and a buffet.

They will love the Discovery Center on Barrington Street too, along with the aforementioned museums and such.

Definitely take them to Cow's Ice Cream, down along the waterfront, and the Harbour Hopper tour. My kid's class did a field trip on it and they all loved it.

If you want to hit a beach, and you have a car, then check out Rainbow Haven, it's a great beach. And if you go to any Dollarama store, they have cheap beach toys.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
767 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 days in Halifax with kids

Cow's ice cream is a great suggestion....,also renting a car for the day for Peggy's cove is the most efficient use of your day and you could even get as far as Lunenburg, a UNESCO world heritage site...

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
2,025 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 days in Halifax with kids

Kids would enjoy The Discovery Centre, the Harbour Hopper, Cows Ice Cream, Freak Lunch Box candy store on Barrington St, Peggy's Cove, Theodore Tugboat, museum of natural history, Local beaches.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,953 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 days in Halifax with kids

Lunenburg would be great for a day. There is an excellent Fisheries Museum, including an old fishing boat to explore.

Take the ferry to Dartmouth for a cheap 'cruise' if you don't go on Theodore Tugboat.

9. Re: 4 days in Halifax with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:41 am, June 21, 2013