We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pink bus hop on hop off?

S.W. Florida
Level Contributor
30 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Pink bus hop on hop off?

We'll be in Halifax for one day in a couple of weeks. Wife and I like to walk. But sometimes one of us has a sore this or that, and using the hop on, hop off would be our choice. I'm trying to find out if I can purchase Pink bus Hop on tickets at the pier when we arrive? I can get them ahead of time through the ship, but if we feel good, and the weather is nice we'd prefer to walk. So, I neither want to waste money on a ticket I don't want, or to get left out if I can only get them through the ship. We'll be there on June 26, and I've heard that the FRED doesn't run until July, someone else said the FRED is gone for good. Does anyone have the straight story? Thanks.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,995 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pink bus hop on hop off?

FRED is no more.

Here is a map for the pink bus. It seems to start at the cruise terminal (Pier 21, 22).

ambassatours.com/images/…202010.pdf

ambassatours.com/group-and-tour-services/cru…

S.W. Florida
Level Contributor
30 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pink bus hop on hop off?

Thanks. It certainly appears that I can buy a ticket at the dock.

Thinking if the weather is nice we'll just take a cab to the Citadel and start walking around the city when we're done there.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,995 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pink bus hop on hop off?

I think that would be a great plan. Taxi to the Citadel. Walk to the Public Gardens and down Spring Garden Road and then explore the waterfront area. There is more than enough to see and do.

Syracuse, NY
Level Contributor
496 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pink bus hop on hop off?

Is it a long or difficult walk to the Citadel from the waterfront parking areas?

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,995 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pink bus hop on hop off?

It is no problem if you are in shape, but it is a steep uphill climb. If walking you would be better to go up Spring Garden Road and then go up the hill. It is a bit more gradual that way.

S.W. Florida
Level Contributor
30 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pink bus hop on hop off?

In case anyone searches this in the future...... I got an email back saying hop on/off tickets can be purchased in the cruise ship terminal. Perfect.

Kokomo, Indiana
Level Contributor
3 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pink bus hop on hop off?

What is the cost if you purchase tickets at the terminal? Thanks!

Halifax
Level Contributor
691 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Pink bus hop on hop off?

If this is what you are referring to probably not a good idea wander yourselves and/or take Taxi to Citadel as someone suggested and wind your way back down.

You can get a customized taxi tour from the cruise port for 50/hr if you did not want to walk.

Here is review??

tvor 743 reviews

There is a company locally that offers double decker bus tours around the city center of Halifax. You can hop on and hop off at various locations and the ticket is good for 48 hours. Why is it a tourist trap? Bloody hell it costs $43 CAD per adult! A family ticket, (2 adults, 2 kids, what if you have more kids?) is $88 CAD. They offer an addon that gives you a ride in an amphibious vehicle on the harbour and that ticket, for a combination of the tour and sail is $64 per adult. That's extortionate if you ask me.

Atlantictours info on the above: http://www.atlantictours.com

Kokomo, Indiana
Level Contributor
3 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pink bus hop on hop off?

Thank you!

Colorado Springs...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Pink bus hop on hop off?

Does the bus go to the site of the Titanic graves?