We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rountrip Portland, ME, to Halifax, NS (incl. NB)

Nebo, NC
Level Contributor
235 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Rountrip Portland, ME, to Halifax, NS (incl. NB)

Autumn 2012, my sisters and I (seniors) plan to do a scenic drive out from Portland, ME. Elevated vistas, quaint villages, and natural attractions are what we seek, not large cities or shopping--and eating is only a necessity, not a focus. Perhaps one natural history museum would fit in. We'll be on an efficient schedule that should go something like this:

1. Arrive and stay Portland

2. Interstate to reach Acadia N/P, lunch in Bar Harbor, drive the eastern loop & Cadillac Mtn., then stay in Ellsworth.

3. Highway #1 along Maine coast into New Brunswick--Hopewell Rocks, the Gorge at St. George, Carlton Martello Tower--stay in St. John, NB.

4. Ferry to Digby, NS, drive east on #101 to Wolfville and Cobequid Bay, Burncoat Head for tides, continue to Halifax for night.

5. Museum, Peggy's Cove until mid-afternoon. Pickup highways #102 and #104 around Bay of Fundy. Best place to overnight between Truro to Amherst? Prefer chain hotel.

6. Most interesting route back to St. John, NB--Fundy N/P (west from Hwy. 2 or drop down from Hwy. 1) then through St. Martins?

7. Return to Bar Harbor and stay Ellsworth.

8. Back to Portland, ME.

9. Depart.

Would appreciate any insider's suggestions for unique scenery along this course as well as routing to maximize the access to best attractions.

Regarding Hopewell Rocks--if we go after it closes on Oct. 8, how long/difficult is the way to the beach on foot, and where do you find the access?

Is Fundy N/P worth the detour in terms of easy access to waterfalls, etc. or do most features require long hikes?

We really need to cut this down to 8 days, but not sure what to give up, so would like to hear from readers about that, too. (Realize it will be slow going on the 2-lane coutry roads.)

Art Gallery of Nova Scotia
Art Galleries, Art Museums
Harbourside Market
Flea & Street Markets, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Rountrip Portland, ME, to Halifax, NS (incl. NB)

I was doing research for a trip in late May. We will be in Halifax, but will have days on either end to see some of the rest of Nova Scotia. I have read your post about the Hidden Falls and the other falls behind the historic house. Would you send me the directions so we can view these falls? powell_pb@yahoo.com Your love for the area is evident in your posts. You are a good ambassador!

Truro, Canada
Level Contributor
503 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Rountrip Portland, ME, to Halifax, NS (incl. NB)

Re quality of mattresses in a Nova Scotia accommodation: If an accommodation is rated as a 3-star or higher by Canada Select, there is a requirement for either a pillow-top mattress or at least a memory foam on top of the existing mattress. As a B&B operator, I would suggest that if you are inquiring about a reservation, please ask about the mattress quality or any other amenity in the property. Accommodation operators strive to assist our potential guests as we are happy when you are happy!

Advocate Harbour...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Rountrip Portland, ME, to Halifax, NS (incl. NB)

Hi Polly, been in a remote rainforest region in Costa Rica with no internet for a couple of weeks and just back so sorry about not getting back to your question sooner. For Hidden Falls, heading into Parrsboro from Truro (7km east of Parrsboro.) direction you will see a couple of small windsocks on the right. At a small gravel road pull off and park. Hanggliders use the windsocks, hopefully you can spot them. You will be by a small clearing. Listen for the water and take a small trail that leads across a creek, a few hundred meters up this trail you find the waterfalls. It is a bit hard to find the trail. Ripley Falls is at Lakelands, north of Parrsboro. There is a large old house (Ripleys) and its a few hundred meters to the falls. You should stop at the house if anyone is home and ask about going back to the falls. If you cant find them, take the drive to Advocate Harbour and stop in at the adventure business to get more details. Call first to make sure someone is there.

Nebo, NC
Level Contributor
235 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Rountrip Portland, ME, to Halifax, NS (incl. NB)

Suncatcher...Interesting insight about Canada's star rating system as relates to hotel/motel bedding. In checking the USA rating system, there was no detail specific to mattress type--only linens. When looking for lodging, I always end up asking the reservationist about the mattresses and you'd be surprised how many have no idea!

Truro, Canada
Level Contributor
503 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Rountrip Portland, ME, to Halifax, NS (incl. NB)

The lack of knowledge may be because in a larger accommodation, you are talking to an employee who does not deal with the "purchases"; in a smaller property you may be speaking with the owner/operator who is also the purchaser of supplies/amenities & therefore knows what she/he has in every room! When the Canada Select inspector arrives at a property, she/he has been known to pull up the bed linens to check the mattress!

16. Re: Rountrip Portland, ME, to Halifax, NS (incl. NB)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, March 23, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Halifax