We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to NS

Which Halifax hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Port Coquitlam BC
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Moving to NS

Hi

I will be moving this year to NS from Vancouver BC and wanted a little advise on where to live. Areas we are considering are Amherst, Oxford or Pugwash. We are a family of 5, kids range from 0-13. Employment is not an issue as my husband works remotely over the internet for a UK company. Any insight in to these areas would be much appreciated. We are just looking for a nice, safe place to raise a family. Thanks!

1. Re: Moving to NS

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 pm, February 13, 2006
Cape Breton Island...
Level Contributor
1,470 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving to NS

Do you like the city or the country life? Would you like to live in the country but still be close enough to drive to the city in under one hour? Nova Scotia is a very safe place to live and you should not have any worries about that. The largest of the cities is are Capital Halifax and the second largest city is Sydney, in Cape Breton. I would also suggest the guide, you can get a little taste of all the areas and attractions ect. and lots of pictures. My choice for you would be Cape Breton Island. www.cbisland.com. Take care and good luck choosing a place.

Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
1,632 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving to NS

Amherst is the largest of the 3 and next to the trans Canada highway for easy access to other areas. Oxford is a small town inland and famous for wild blueberries picked in the area. Pugwash is on the Northumberland Strait with beaches and warm water. There is a great winery nearby. Jost is probably the norhernmost winery in North America. Not up on the school systems in any of these places. They are typical small towns with Amherst being the centre and the other two about 1/2 to 1 hour drive away.

Try www.mls.ca to give you an idea of housing prices.

Canada
Level Contributor
2,517 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moving to NS

Amherst has the proximity of Moncton, with its excellent air service, as an advantage. And, of course, it is beautiful there. I lived in Antigonish for a year a while ago and absolutely loved where I lived (outside of town, a mile from the beach) and loved the lifestyle. The only thing I did not like about being there was the 2 hour plus drive to the Halifax airport--not good as I travel frequently for work: thus my nod to Amherst. I'd take any of those places, mind you. You are lucky to be able to move there.

Halifax
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Moving to NS

All in all - any of those places are in a great region of Nova Scotia! Being from a small town - I would have to say I had a wonderful upbringing and it was nice to have a good sense of community. I have a soft spot for Pugwash which is beautiful but a bit out of the way... Oxford would be an excellent selection as it's very central and close enough to get where you need but with small community charm.

I hope you really enjoy your move to Nova Scotia!