We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Halifax/Dartmouth Hojo as Bad As People say??

Which Halifax hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Alberta
Level Contributor
590 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Is Halifax/Dartmouth Hojo as Bad As People say??

I am staying at the Econo Lodge but on my trip I am not reserving hotels so I need to know is the Halifax Hojo as bad as the reviews say? Cause it looks very cheap and by the pictures it looks quite nice!!

Does anyone have any ideas??

Thanks

BTD

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
3,224 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Halifax/Dartmouth Hojo as Bad As People say??

I stayed there when it was under previous ownership. The rooms were basic, but the beds were comfortable. Howard Johnson has been renovating the rooms, so I don't know what they're like now. The location is wonderful if you don't want to take a car to downtown Halifax. I live a couple of blocks away, so I'll try to drop in this week and ask to see the rooms. I'll report back.

Alberta
Level Contributor
590 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Halifax/Dartmouth Hojo as Bad As People say??

Thanks Bedlace!!

I sure know what people mean Atlantic canadians are so kind!!!

Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Halifax/Dartmouth Hojo as Bad As People say??

Hi Barkley:

Are you referring to the Halifax Howard Johnson on St.Margarets Bay Road.?

This place has been operating for sometime under another name..It was originally Keddy's Motor Inn--Bay Road location.

It was a real deal to stay there at one time. My children and myself spent endless weekends around the pool there years ago.

It was just so economical to do so. The hotel was fine but would not recommend the outer rooms as these are the oldest and were very dated and in rough condition. These would be the rooms that you could drive your car up too, not the inner hotel rooms.

Since then it was closed for sometime for renovations. It also changed hands to Howard Johnson. I'm not sure of it's condition now or have not heard too much about it..If it's value for the dollar you are looking for Barkley, we could probably find you something more suitable.. I live on the south shore, but will be driving by tomorrow, and will check it out..I'll post back..

regards...

Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Halifax/Dartmouth Hojo as Bad As People say??

Have you checked pricing for the Halifax Citadel inn--downtown--there rates are very good for the location......

Alberta
Level Contributor
590 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Halifax/Dartmouth Hojo as Bad As People say??

Hi

I am meaning the howard Johnson on St Margerats Ave. It has horrible Reviews on Tripadvisor but I have heard it is a good bang for the buck!! Anyway thanks for checking it out!!

BTD

Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Halifax/Dartmouth Hojo as Bad As People say??

woo--that place is still under heavy renovation..It looks no different than it did in the summer months..Certainly is taking them along time to get the hotel together..I wouldn't recommend it --no way..

Alberta
Level Contributor
590 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Halifax/Dartmouth Hojo as Bad As People say??

Great Thanks Blondie!!!

I found another deal at the Comfort Inn in Dartmouth so I will make it my 2nd option!!

Thanks for your help!!

Sincerly, Barkley

Level Contributor
32 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Halifax/Dartmouth Hojo as Bad As People say??

Yes it is bad. The outdoor rooms that you drive up to remind me of the Bates Motel.[Ever see the movie Psycho??] The hotel rooms i havent stayed in, but the motel is bad, very bad. Check out the newly built Quality inn in Halifax or the Holiday Inn Express. These hotels are newer. www.qualityinnhalifax.com www.hiehalifax.com