We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oct. visit

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
154 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Oct. visit

I'll be arriving in Halifax on Oct. 18 and staying for 6 days. Myself and my 2 year old. We'll be staying with friends that will undoubtably do most of the planning. However, having lived in Halifax for 3+years there are things I'd like to do on my own. Don't want to upset my hostess to much yet by telling her that!

Hopefully you can help me with some questions..

What will still be open? I was under the impression that "Tourist Season" ends on Oct. 13. No idea where I got that, but its stuck in my head.

Will the Hopper still be running in the Harbour? My little one would probably enjoy that. What about Mountain Gap Inn. Their webpage doesn't mention the end of their season and I couldn't get ahold of anyone. Thats one of my favorite places in the world.

Lastly, what about the colors? I'm sure this is a big question right now, but chances that they'll be any left by the 18th??

Thanks for any help!

Halifax Titanic Historical Tours
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Halifax Free Walking Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours
Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,782 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oct. visit

Hi Texas:

You should be here at the "height" of the colors this year.

I live on Nova Scotia's South Shore (Chester) and we have yet to see our leaves change...Days are in the near 80's and the nights are still not very cool..As you know, that can change here in a heartbeat.....

We are having a very unseasonably warm fall so far..

Therefore your timing will no doubt be perfect.

The Mountain Gap Inn (I like that spot alot myself) should still be up and running..You mentioned their website, but do you have a phone #..?

The Harbour Hopper runs through October 30th, so your daughter can have that fun experience..

www.harbourhopper.com

You can start the tour at the Cable Wharf --downtown..

Also try www.murphysonthewater.com (open year round) for other water tours..

You may have thought about the 15th being end of season, but only a few tours end at that time....

Hope this is of some assisitance..

regards....

Cape Breton Island...
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oct. visit

You can call the Mountain Gap Inn at 245-5841 or 1 800 565 5020.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
154 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Oct. visit

Thanks so much to both of you!

Can't wait to be there!!

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
3,267 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oct. visit

If the TheodoreToo tugboat tours are still operating (same place as the Hopper), I'm sure your daughter would like that because it's designed for kids.

Cape Breton Island...
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oct. visit

I know you are on vacation now and I hope you are enjoying the fall colours. They were about a week late for peek which worked for your benefit. Today I was driving around and it is absolutely beautiful. As I look out my computer room window it actually looks like there is a huge fire. I live at the highest point in Sydney and can see quite the distance. I love the Fall.

Get answers to your questions about Halifax