We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

B&Bs in NS near lunenburg

montreal
3 posts
Save Topic
B&Bs in NS near lunenburg

Hi my husband and i are planning to go to NS early Sept (starting labour day) we are looking for nice affordable places to stay, around Lunenburg and maybe on the Cabot trail. Can I get some suggestions.

Mid Coast Maine...
Level Contributor
808 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: B&Bs in NS near lunenburg

When you say "affordable", what price range are you talking about?

montreal
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: B&Bs in NS near lunenburg

Sorry I guess you are right that was not too clear. Well it all depends on what is included. But basically around $75 per night.

Sydney
Level Contributor
881 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: B&Bs in NS near lunenburg

Raeme,

My wife and I operate a B&B in Sydney Nova scotia. I have copied below a short note that I usually send to our guests outlining what there is to do in the Sydney area.

Things to do in the Sydney Area

What we have found over the six years we have opened our home to guests, is that those guests that spent two or more nights in one place are enjoying their vacation substantially more than those who are rushing to a different location each night. Typically, our guests have been spending two or three nights in the Sydney area. Those who spend only one day in the area are invariably disappointed that they haven’t allow enough time to see the major attractions in the area and experience a little of the local culture.

Generally, our guests will arrive one night, usually around suppertime, and spend the first night with us. The next morning they will head to the Fortress at Louisbourg (20 minutes away) and will usually spend the entire day there. They will often have supper in the town of Louisbourg and then attend the show (2 hours of Cape Breton music/comedy) at the Louisbourg Playhouse and arrive back at our place about 1030, tired but happy. The next morning after breakfast (their second full day in the area) they may choose to do a loop around a portion of the Bras d’Or Lakes (Cape Breton’s “Inland Sea”) visiting the Highland Village in Iona and the Alexander Graham Bell Museum in Baddeck enroute. That evening after dinner at one of Sydney’s finer restaurants they may attend another show of typical Cape Breton/Celtic music in downtown Sydney before spending their third night at “A Paradise Found”. The next morning after breakfast they will depart, either heading around the Cabot Trail or, if they have already done that, off the island and on with their vacation. There is also the Miner's Museum to see in Glace Bay (20 min away). You can squeeze that in one of the first mornings or do it the morning you leave Sydney. Some of our guests will also do the Cabot Trail from Sydney, but I don't recommend that. It is far better to do it in 2 or more days, particularly if you intend on doing anything like hiking, kayaking or whale watching as you tour the Trail. We would be happy to recommend B&Bs around the Cabot Trail to meet your requirements.

There is a lot to see and do in Cape Breton and how long you stay in any area obviously depends on where your interests lie. If you need any information or recommendations on other accommodations or other things to do in Cape Breton, please don't hesitate to ask.

Places Around the Cabot Trail

Wheer to stay around the Cabot Trail depends somewhat on what you want to do while travelling the Trail. Prices will vary depending on whether the B&Bs have ensuite, private or shared baths. As most of our guests are looking for amenities similar to our own, in particular for ensuite baths, we tend to recommend properties that meet those needs. Places that we recommend around the Cabot trail are Oakwood manor B&B in Cape North in the north east corner of the Trail and Pilot Whale B&B near Cheticamp in the north west corner.

In Lunenburg I would highly recommend Atlantic Sojourn B&B. Sebelle and Susan are excellent hosts and their B&B is spectacular. (www.atlanticsojourn.com). As a 4 1/2 Star property they are likely the best value for money in Lunenburg.

Sydney
Level Contributor
881 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: B&Bs in NS near lunenburg

The B&Bs that I recommended in my previous post are all around or slightly above the rate you are looking for. You can get better rates if you don't mind sharing a bathroom with others. The benefit of a b&B is that virtually everything else is included in the room rate, including a full and usually extremely good breakfast, wireless internet, and personal attention.

nova scotia
Level Contributor
139 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: B&Bs in NS near lunenburg

Here are some BB'a around Lunenburg,

As for Lunenburg B&B 's - try these websites.

- www.ashleahouse.com

- www.admiraltyhouse.com

- www.bonniesbandb.com

- www3.ns.sympatico.ca/westhaver.haus

- www.kaulbachhouse.com

- www.atlanticsojourn.com

- www.lincolnhouse.ca

- www. pelhamhouse.ca

- www.brigantineinn.com

- www.homeportmotel.com

Mid Coast Maine...
Level Contributor
808 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: B&Bs in NS near lunenburg

I think that some of those that caper57 listed are well beyond $75 per night. I think in that price range, you'd be best to stick to the motels in the area. There's one by the golf course, can't think of the name, but they have the most amazing views from there. I've never stayed there, but I hear the rooms are basic, but clean. Plus, some of them have kitchenette's where you can prepare breakfast and perhaps lunch.

If you are set on a B&B, check out Greybeard's or Pelham House. I think they might be in your price range, or just slightly higher.

New Minas, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
2,197 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: B&Bs in NS near lunenburg

I believe the motel by the golf course that overlooks the harbour is the Topmast Motel, but the prices are higher than $75. There's also the Atlantic View Motel & cottages that's along the ocean about 1 km from downtown Lunenburg.

www.atlanticview.ca

If you go on the Nova Scotia website: www.novascotia.com

and search under accommodations, you should get an idea of what is available and the prices.

It's a nice time of year to visit Nova Scotia. Take time to visit the Annapolis Valley, it's only an hour's drive across from Chester Basin on Rte 12. A chance to view the tides of the Bay of Fundy and visit our wineries.

montreal
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: B&Bs in NS near lunenburg

Thank you for the info, do you think it is feasable for us to think of visiting Pictou first doing the Cabot Trail, going to Luneburg for lets say two days and also the Annopolis valley also all in one week? Or would it be better to choose only one area (Pictou is a must we have a friend working there for the summer as a kayak instructor.

Sydney
Level Contributor
881 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: B&Bs in NS near lunenburg

raeme,

Most people would take 2 weeks to do what you suggest. It can be done but you will spend the majority of your time driving. IF you are going to do this, I would recommend something like:

Day 1 - drive to Pictou and visit your friend. Evening Sail B&B in Pictou is recommended.

Day 2 - drive to Cape Breton and drive part way around the Cabot trail staying perhaps in Cape North where I would recommend Oakwood manor B&B.

Day 3 - continue drive around Cabot Trail and end up back in Pictou where you can visit with your friend again.

Day 4 - Drive to Lunenburg via Peggy's Cove, Chester and Mahone bay. In Lunenburg I would recommend Atlantic Sojourn B&B.

Day 5 - Stay in Lunenburg to explore the area and recharge your batteries.

Day 6 - Drive across the province to the Annapolis Valley, probably the Wolfville area where I would recommend Carwarden B&B in Port William just outside of Wolfville. Visit the Grand Pre National Historic Site.

dDy 7 - Drive to Halifax

As I said at the start, while you can physically do this and you will see the scenery, you will be spending a lot of time driving and won't be able to do a lot.

10. Re: B&Bs in NS near lunenburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 pm, September 04, 2009