We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Trip To Nova Scotia

Hilton Head Island...
Level Contributor
8 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
First Trip To Nova Scotia

I have one week - September 4 - 12, 2007, to give my 86-year-old Dad a visit to Nova Scotia. He is quite active and loves hiking and taking pictures of waterfalls and flowers and scenery.

Here is my current plan:

Sept. 4 - Arrive Halifax at 3:00 PM

Sleep at the Hilton Garden Inn Airport

Sept. 5 - Drive rental car to New Glasgow

Stay at Comfort Inn

Walk the local trails

Sept. 6 - Drive to Baddeck

Stay at Inverary Resort

Walk trails - see local scenery

Sept. 7 - Drive to Cheticamp

Stay at Cheticamp Outfitters B&B Two Nights

Hike at National Park

Sept. 9 - Drive to Liscomb

Stay at Liscomb Lodge Two Nights

Hike local trails

Sept. 11 Drive to Halifax

Visit the city

Sleep at Hilton Garden Inn Airport

Sept. 12 - Fly Home

So is this a reasonable schedule to see the sights and not put too much pressure on myself or my Dad?

Any suggestions for easy trails (one hour and not too strenuous) and any other stops along the way would be appreciated.

My Dad LOVES waterfalls.

Thanks,

Rick

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,269 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Trip To Nova Scotia

You have done your research and your plan is very workable.

If it were me, I would skip New Glasgow and go right to Cape Breton. The airport to Baddeck would be about 6 or 7 hours. You are only saving two hours by staying in New Glasgow. Take the extra day to go whale watching out of Cheticamp or Pleasant Bay. You may want to spend one night further north than Cheticamp. (But I love Cheticamp!).

Other that that I think you have a great plan.

Hilton Head Island...
Level Contributor
8 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Trip To Nova Scotia

Thanks for your reply.

I will take another look at going straight to Cape Breton.

Basically, the only reason for the New Glasgow stop is the break up the driving time for my Dad. More than two or three hours driving wears him out.

I noticed that there are some nice walking trails along the waterfront in New Glasgow, so we are going to do that.

I really appreciate your input. I've found that this web site and it's contributors have the best information and really help me make good plans for my trips with Dad.

Rick

Sydney
Level Contributor
881 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Trip To Nova Scotia

The drive from the Halifax airport to Baddeck is actually 3 1/2 hours. I would suggest doing it in the one day and giving yourself more time in Cape Breton.

4. Re: First Trip To Nova Scotia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 pm, September 03, 2009