We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire from Halifax to Boston

Scotland
Level Contributor
32 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Car hire from Halifax to Boston

I would like to pick up a hire car in Halifax, spend a few days travelling then take the ferry (and the car) over to St Johns, the plan then would be to drive down to Boston and fly back to the UK from there. I have been quoted around £600 to do this (14 days car hire) which is pretty expensive. Does anyone know of a way I could do this cheaper? Even if I could drop the car off in Canada, near the border and hire a second one in the States, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Halifax
Halifax
Halifax Region, Canada
St. John's
St. John's
Newfoundland, Canada
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire from Halifax to Boston

It might be cheaper to rent a car in Halifax and drop it in Yarmouth. Then take the ferry to Maine and rent a car there to drop it in Boston. Drop charges on rental cars are always high, since the rental company has to get them back to their origin at some point. My feeling is that this would be easier between Halifax and Yarmouth and Boston and Maine, than between Boston and Halifax. Accordingly the drop charges should be less. This is just a guess on my part though - the world isn't always logical :=)

I do know that there are car rental companies in Yarmouth, Portland and Bar Harbor. I don't know if there are any in the small towns on either side of the NB/Maine border.

Mentioned in this post
Halifax
Halifax
Halifax Region, Canada
Yarmouth
Yarmouth
Southwest Nova Scotia, Canada
Maine
Maine
United States
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
2. Re: Car hire from Halifax to Boston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:29 am, August 29, 2009