We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 days Nova Scotia and so many decisions...

Which Halifax hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
15 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
8 days Nova Scotia and so many decisions...

Hi Everyone,

Thank you all for posting such valuable information about Nova Scotia. My husband and I are celebrating our 1st wedding anniversary and I am going to surprise him with a trip to Nova Scotia. I have read and read and read so many posts over the past 3 days. My husband and I are well-seasoned travelers but still haven't conquered our issue of trying to cram too much in to one trip. We have trouble focusing because we want to see it all! There is so much to do in Nova Scotia, but we only have 8 days...

Can you please help me refine my itinerary? I welcome any suggestions and realize we have a lot of driving ahead of us, which we are used to. We really want to see the highlights of Nova Scotia and prefer a mixture of activities (coastal drives, hiking, definitely biking, whale watching, etc.).

Here is our very-tentative itinerary:

Day 1 (July 7): Halifax- explore the city, see the Citadel, etc. (stay at the Marriott Harbourfront, $80/night on Priceline.com)

Day 2 (July 8): Halifax- Pipefest and the Tattoo (my husband is Scottish and has to see this)

Day 3 (July 9): Peggy's Cove - Mahone Bay - Lunenburg (stay at the Lunenburg Arms Hotel)

* We'll have to skip Shelbourne and Yarmouth due to the limited time we have.

Day 4 (July 10): Kejimkujik National Park (rent a bike and go cycling); maybe a short hike - proceed to Digby for a scallop dinner - back to Annapolis Royal (stay at the Hillsdale)

Day 5 (July 11): Brier Island whale watching - big drive to Truro area (any suggestions for lodging)? Is there a better place to stay on our way to Cape Breton?

This is where we get into a lot more driving...

Day 6 (July 12): Belle Cote or Cheticamp? We really really want to see the Cape Breton Highlands. Maybe stay at the Island Sunset Resort?

Day 7 (July 13): Fortress of Louisbourg OR Beinn Bhreagh? We only have time for one. Any suggestions for lodging?

Day 8 (July 14): Very big road trip back to Halifax - Jazzfest (stay at the Marriott Harbourfront, $80/night on Priceline.com)

Day 9 (July 15): Fly back to Cincinnati

Any suggestions or glaring omissions?? I realize we have a lot of driving to do on this trip. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks!

Cape Breton Island...
Level Contributor
1,470 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: 8 days Nova Scotia and so many decisions...

As for Cape Breton, if you like French Acadian culture, fishing village, whalewatching, and beautiful scenery pick Cheticamp. If you would rather tee off golfing, beaches, and ocean/mountain scenery pick Ingonish. If you would like sailing, bird watching, arts/crafts, and Bras d'or Lakes scenery pick Baddeck. Or drive around the loop and see all three.

12. Re: 8 days Nova Scotia and so many decisions...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 pm, August 29, 2009